Chapter 34

I went home that night with Kie and stayed at her place and the next day we talked and cried a lot about Sarah and John B. Pope and JJ texted us to meet at the Chateau at sundown. Once we got there no one wanted to break the silence so we watched as Pope hacked at the large tree in John B's yard to get the bark off of it. With each swing of the axe a tear fell down my cheek for my friends. Even though I didn't know John B for as long as they did, I'm always going to be grateful for him bringing me into their group. Because of him I made lifelong friends and formed a second family I never expected to have.

Pope stepped back and we took in the heart he managed to whack into the large stump of the tree. Ju heated a metal tool with a blow torch and burned in "John B Routledge P4L." along with his birth and death year. Once it was done we admired the memorial piece and each grabbed a can of beer. "To John B." He cheers'ed and we all took a swig.

"And to Sarah." Kie added and we cheers'ed again. I looked down at Kie's hands to see her holding a small wooden box full of some of John B's things. Inside of it is a bandana, a bracelet, some of his dads 'clues' and some photos of all of us and ones of them and John B. JJ and I grabbed a shovel and each worked on digging a hole for the box. Once it was deep enough Kie placed the memorial box in the ground, and the four of us bent down to put the dirt back over it. Pope put in some flowers and once it was done we hung out there for the remainder of the night before going our separate ways.

———————-

I woke up the next morning in my bed and took a breath. None of this even feels real. I had shut my phone off since that night, not wanting to deal with any sort of texts or calls from anyone. I only knew to go to the Chateau yesterday because I was with Kie when they texted us.

"Molly." I heard my mom's voice and there was a knock on my bedroom door. I got up and opened it to see her with a saddened look on her face. Although most of the time I knew Sarah I was hanging out more with her family, my mother watched her grow up too. "The wake and funeral for Susan is today." My heart stopped at her words. I almost forgot among all the chaos that she hasn't been buried yet.

"I can't go to that mom." I croaked out. "Not with just losing Sarah." Although I am devastated about Sarah and John B that's not the reason I can't go to that funeral. To pass off the story that John B murdered her I'm sure Rafe and Ward are going to be there and I've been trying to avoid them like the plague.

"I know it's hard honey." She comforted me. "But the Cameron's are going to be there and they need us right now." My stomach twisted at her words. This is their fault. "Think about Rafe, he just lost his sister." I let out a breath at this. I'm not sure if it's anger, or sadness, or both.

"And Wheezie too." I forgot about Wheezie. Wheezie must be shocked, hurt, and so confused right now. She deserves to know the truth about what happened. "Get dressed, we're going to leave in an hour." I watched as she walked away and I closed my door before taking a deep breath. This is not going to be good.

I made my way to my phone and opened up the app to listen to the voicemails from Rafe.

"You can't keep ignoring my calls Molly!"

"We need to talk about what happened."

"Molly please answer me."

"Molly I'm starting to lose my patience answer the god damn phone!"

"Molly I swear if you don't answer this fucking phone!"

"Molly I know you're getting my calls!"

"Please just-just hear me out okay?!"

"They lied to you alright! You need to call me so I can explain this to you."

"Molly answer me."

By the time I got to the last one I realized that the only reason they stopped is because my mailbox must have been full. I thought about deleting them, but if I delete them he can leave more. I went over to my closet and picked out a black dress. I didn't bother with makeup because I already know I'm going to be crying. My phone started buzzing and I looked at it to see a message from Kie asking what I'm doing today. I told her I have to go to the funeral and I watched as her little typing bubbles disappeared then came back.

"Rafe going?" As soon as I saw the message I sighed.

"Most likely." I texted her back and then put my phone in my bag. I don't need her or anyone questioning me about this.

———————-

Rafe's Pov

I adjusted my tie in the mirror and tried to calm down the nervousness wreaking it's way through my body right now. I'm not sure why considering my little sister is now dead that my father sees it being so important for us to go to Peterkin's funeral but I guess this is all part of selling it that John B is the one who killed her. I grabbed my phone and dialed Molly's number for about the thousandth time this week.

"The mailbox is full and can not-" I hit the end button angrily and tossed my phone down on the bed. I know she loves pissing me off but this is really not the time to be dodging me.

"Rafe." I turned to see my dad in the doorway of my room. "You don't speak to anyone unless spoken to understand me?" I nodded, knowing that the best thing I can do right now is let him control this story.

"Yes sir." He gave me one last look and then went to leave but I stopped him. "Dad are the Wescott's going?"

He let out a sigh at this.

"Yes, why?"

"I just..." I debated on telling him that I've been trying to talk to Molly, but hopefully he's talked to her dad already. "Molly's been avoiding me and-"

"Listen son I don't want you talking to her." I stared at him in shock. "Wh-What? She's my girlfriend."

"She was arrested twice for helping John B escape Rafe." He pointed out and I felt anger bubbling up inside me at both of them.

"It's because she doesn't know dad." I huffed. "She was brainwashed by John B and Sarah and-"

"That's enough Rafe." He went to leave again and I stormed towards him angrily.

"I can convince her that John B did it dad I just need to talk to her."

"Rafe! You are not to speak to her until I say it's okay do you understand me?!" He snapped angrily and I pinched the bridge of my nose angrily. "Do you understand?!"

"Yes." I know it's better to just let him think he's right, right now. "Yes sir." He didn't say anything else and left the room. I know her better than anyone and now that Sarah's out of the picture i can convince her that they lied to her, l just need the chance to do it.

—————————
Do you liked it?