25. Flames of Ego

Betrayal!!!

Arnav understood the meaning and pain of this word. Even in his wildest dreams, he never imagined his mother would raise an allegation about a woman's character.

But the truth is, she did, and that woman is his love and his wife.

How could he listen to his mother calling his wife a cheater?

He felt spiders crawling on his skin at the thought. His Khushi is the most innocent woman he has met in his life. He wished to become deaf before hearing these allegations against his wife from his mother.

How would Khushi feel if she heard these words? ......... He felt a pang in his heart.

What if his Khushi decided to leave him? How could a woman live in a house where questions are raised about her character? He couldn't let that happen. He can't live without her. She became an oxygen for him. He needs her to survive. He would die if she decided to leave him.

"Chotte, as you have seen and confirmed the truth, throw that girl out of this house." She said this, not noticing her son's traumatised look.

"Yes, Chotte, you should have done it long ago," came a suggestion from his sister.

He stared at them with a blank face. These were the women he loved wholeheartedly his entire life. He never cared for anyone; for him, his family was everything. He was a rude and cold-hearted person to the world, but he desired to be a loving son and a caring brother to his family.

Where did he go wrong? He showered his family with love then; why can't his mother be happy with his happiness?

Why can't his mother see the caring nature and goodness of Khushi?

"Chotte," Ratna tapped his shoulder, and he trembled back, lost in his trance. "Arnav" caused him to awaken from his daze.

"Do as I say?" He heard his mother's authoritative voice.

"What do you want me to do, Mom?" He asked, and the last word felt bitter on his tongue.

"Throw her out of your life and this house. She doesn't deserve you." A winning smile appeared on her face as Arnav was listening to her.

"Do you want me to die, Mom?" He asked in low tones.

"What are you saying, Chotte? How could a mother wish for her son's death?" Ratna frowned at his calm behaviour and strange questions.

"But you're wishing for my death. I can't live without Khushi."

"Still, you are concerned about that... She couldn't complete her words as Arnav lost his cool.

"STOP IT! I LOVE HER, MOM!" he shouted in rage.

"Chotte, It could not be love; she was...

"Can't you understand?

I said stop. I don't want to hear a word against my wife. How could you make such allegations about her? She is my wife and the daughter-in-law of this house. She is the pride of my home. What would she think if she knew about your allegations? She will be shattered, and I can't see her in that state.

You want her to leave your house. So, alright, it will happen." He paused to look at them. There was a grin on their faces when they heard his last words.

A glum smile crept on his face. "I am going with her. I can't live without her," he declared and turned to go, but halted hearing her.

"Are you leaving your mom for a girl who came into your life a few months ago?" She asked in disbelief.