Chapter # 10. Mystery of a Hospital

Dr. Aliza walked through the musty corridors of the old hospital, her footsteps echoing off the walls. She had been searching for hours, following a trail of cryptic clues that led her to this abandoned wing.
As she turned a corner, she noticed a small door hidden behind a tattered curtain. The sign on the door read “Archive Room – Authorized Personnel Only”.

Aliza’s heart raced as she pushed open the door, revealing a cramped room filled with dusty files and forgotten records. She began to search through the shelves, her fingers scanning the labels until she found what she was looking for – a file marked “Nusrat Jameel” – her mother’s name.

As she opened the file, a newspaper clipping fell out, yellowed with age. The headline read “Tragic Accident Claims Young Life” and featured a photo of a young man – Jameel, her biological father.

Aliza’s eyes welled up with tears as she realized the truth. Her family’s secrets were hidden in plain sight, in the very hospital where she worked.

Suddenly, the lights flickered and died, plunging the room into darkness. Aliza heard footsteps outside, heavy and deliberate. She knew she was not alone.      

Dr. Aliza stood frozen in the darkness, her heart racing with anticipation. The footsteps grew louder, and she could sense a presence outside the door. Suddenly, the door creaked open, and a figure loomed in the doorway.

Welcome, Dr. Aliza,”

a low, menacing voice said.

I see you’re getting close to the truth.”

Aliza tried to speak, but her voice caught in her throat. The figure stepped forward, its features illuminated by the faint light from the corridor.

It was Dr. Khan, her colleague and mentor. But his eyes now held a sinister glint, and his smile was twisted and cruel.

You see, Aliza, your family’s secrets are not just yours to keep,”

he sneered.

And you’re getting too close to exposing them.”

Aliza tried to step back, but her feet felt rooted to the spot. Dr. Khan took another step closer, his eyes gleaming with malice.

You need to learn to keep secrets, Aliza. And I’m here to teach you.”

Dr. Aliza found her voice, and a surge of adrenaline gave her the courage to speak.

Dr. Khan, what are you talking about? What secrets are you trying to keep?”

Dr. Khan chuckled, a cold, mirthless sound.

Oh, Aliza. You really are so naïve. You think you can uncover the truth and get away with it?”

Aliza took a step back, her eyes fixed on Dr. Khan’s face.

What do you want from me?”

Dr. Khan’s expression turned cruel.

I want you to drop your investigation. Forget about your family’s past and focus on your career. That’s the only way you’ll survive.

Aliza’s mind raced. She knew she couldn’t trust Dr. Khan, but she had to stall for time.

Okay, okay. I’ll do as you say. Just please, don’t hurt me.

Dr. Khan’s smile grew wider.

Oh, Aliza. You’re so predictable. But don’t worry, I won’t hurt you… yet.”

With that, he turned and walked away, leaving Aliza shaken and alone in the darkness.

Dr. Aliza stood frozen, her mind racing with thoughts of escape and survival. But as she turned to leave, she noticed a figure watching her from the shadows.

It was Nurse Yasmin, her colleague and friend. Yasmin’s eyes held a secret message, and Aliza knew she could trust her.

Without a word, Yasmin beckoned Aliza to follow her. They slipped out of the archive room, navigating the dark corridors with ease.

Once they reached Yasmin’s office, she locked the door and turned to Aliza.