Haruto's Trial (1)

It was useless. No amount of pre-meeting mental preparation would be enough when it came to Genevieve's mum.

Like the first time they met, Raymond was seated across the austere woman with nothing but suffocating silence between them. When he arrived at her home about fifteen minutes ago, she had given a noncommittal hum at his greeting and did nothing but mutely sip tea after he mentioned the purpose of his visit.

Seeming to enjoy the uncomfortable silence, she would observe him over the rim of her teacup now and then—such a strange woman. Raymond prided himself on breaking the ice when socialising in his line of work, but with Senator Amanda, all he saw was a thousand-foot brick wall.

The corner of the senator's lip dipped as if her tea tasted bad. "It seems you successfully convinced my daughter to return to that pitiful job with the equally pitiful pay."

So sudden were her words that it took Raymond a moment to gather his thoughts and form a sensible reply. "We plan to give Genevieve added benefits upon her return."

Senator Amanda chuffed and carefully placed her teacup on the side stool. "Is that supposed to be pleasing news?"

Raymond was beginning to get tired of this. That part of him that didn't give a shit before the corporate world moulded him into a diplomatic nut job was starting to shake awake.

"Do you recall my instructions before your little getaway with my daughter?" She wove her fingers and pinned Raymond with a piercing stare. "I'm sure you understand the seriousness of my request."

Raymond groaned internally. This woman. Now he understood why Genevieve avoided her for two years. Her obsession with control was ridiculous. "That will be up to Genevieve to decide."

The senator scowled. The fierce expression reminded him of a mean-spirited nanny Raymond had when he was six. The crazy part was, the meaner the nanny got, the more she fanned the flames of his and his brother's silly antics.

"You do not strike me as an unreasonable man." She rested her jaw on a closed fist, scowl still in place as she observed him. "Do you doubt I can make things difficult for your company?"

Raymond swallowed a sigh. "Wouldn't it be better to ask Genevieve what she would prefer? If you could—"

She waved away his words, scowl shifting to a mild look of irritation. "There are things a parent sees that a child will never glimpse even atop a mountain."

The answer was clear before Raymond. To gain the senator's approval and, by extension, please his father, he must bend to her will. But Raymond didn't need to think about it; he wouldn't transfer Genevieve to Abuja at her mother's request. Submitting on this matter would create a snowball effect he was certain future-him would regret.

"My daughter thinks she knows what is best for her but time and time again, she has made decisions that are detrimental to her—"

"You are doing it again," said a tired voice.

Both their attention went to the archway to Raymond's right. Genevieve stood with arms folded and a glare fixed on her mother.

The senator turned away with an unbothered huff before sipping her tea. "Doing what? Do not speak in halves. Be specific."

Genevieve glanced his way. She had on an oversized Looney Tunes black shirt and denim shorts. Should she be up? She looked exhausted. Raymond frowned when he noticed her eyes were red-rimmed. "Have you been crying?"

Instead of answering, Genevieve strolled over and grabbed Raymond's hand. "Let's go."

The senator blinked at their joined hands. "Oh."