Chapter~44

Like
.
.
.
.
.
Comment
.
.
.
.
.
Share/Follow
.
.
.
~ Constructive feedback is appreciated~
.
.
.
♦ Please don't be a silent reader,and at least leave a like to motivate me♦
.
.

Vanessa's POV: 

As the wind whispered past me in a haunting whoosh, it seemed to carry with it a sense of foreboding, as if nature itself recoiled from the impending confrontation. Above, the moon hung like a silent witness, casting its pale light upon the desolate landscape, shrouding it in an eerie glow. In this desolate setting, the lighthouse loomed ominously.

With each step I took, the crunch of gravel beneath my feet echoed like a dirge, a somber prelude to the violence that lay ahead. The path stretched out before me but I pressed on, driven by a primal urge for vengeance that burned within me.

I tasked Shadow with blending seamlessly among them, a skill he mastered with unparalleled finesse. His presence would remain by my side, concealed from Viktor's awareness, providing me with an invaluable ally among the enemies. He would be ready to strike at a moment's notice should the need arise.

As I approached the lighthouse, my steps faltered just outside its looming silhouette. The figures of men stationed as guards became discernible against the backdrop of the structure, their presence a silent warning. With each soft crunch of gravel beneath my feet, their vigilance intensified, their guns raised in a defensive stance. I could feel their watchful gaze fixating on me, their fingers poised on triggers, ready to react at the slightest hint of threat.

"Stop right there!" one of them commanded, his voice cutting through the stillness of the night. The others mirrored his actions, their firearms trained on me with unwavering precision.

With excitement pounding in my chest, I complied, raising my hands in a gesture of surrender. The cold metal of their weapons glinted in the dim light. With cautious movements, I took a step forward, the crunch of gravel beneath my shoes echoing in the silence.

"Walk ahead," another voice ordered, the tone firm yet tinged with an undercurrent of tension. Every fiber of my being screamed with resentment at being ordered, but I obeyed, each step bringing me closer to the sweet retribution I crave.

As the door swung open with a creak, the guards nudged me forward, their grip firm but cautious. I glanced around the entrance of the lighthouse, taking note of every detail with a cool, calculating gaze. The staircase stretched out before me, its steps leading both upward and downward, a tantalizing invitation to the secrets hidden within.

With a subtle nod from the guards, their silent directive clear, I made my choice without hesitation. Ignoring the upward path that most would instinctively follow, I descended confidently into the depths below. The guards' expressions remained inscrutable behind their masks, but I knew I was heading the right way.

Each step downward felt deliberate, purposeful. The air grew cooler with each descent, the darkness enveloping me like a cloak. But I pressed on, my senses sharp and focused, every movement calculated to lead me closer to my objective.

 Further walking down into the belly of the lighthouse, I entered a narrow corridor, shrouded in darkness save for the faint glimmer of distant lanterns, the air heavy with the scent of salt and decay. "Keep moving," the guards' voices commanded, their tone brooking no dissent. Though the lack of light made detailed observation impossible, I absorbed what I could before continuing.