Chapter One

Life changed a lot ever since my father went bankrupt. We moved from the big house we used to live in and ended up squeezing in a two room apartment building with nothing other than our clothes and personal belongings.
I woke up a few minutes late this morning, well not really late just later than I usually I wake up, resulting to Me brushing my teeth in the kitchen because Baheeja had already beat me to the bathroom. She likes hogging the bathroom. She would seriously live in the bathroom if she had the chance. Just imagining that it is the home of the shaytan and the jinns gives me the creeping shivers.

Even banging on the door wouldn't chase her out trust me Baheera was doing that at the moment. Causing the whole house to wake up. Well only Ami since Abu was out, most likely working. They were seriously giving me a major migraine. Allah Sabarni I was already drained from working overtime. Stacking products at the store that I only got three hours of sleep last night and sadly no one at home had noticed that I came home really late. Not even My dad. Not that I blame him, he is always tired. Baba is always thinking about how to making sure we don't go homeless or hungry, trying  to figure out how to make life comfortable for us that he sometimes too deep in his thoughts that he doesn't notice his surroundings. As for Baheera and Baheeja since they are juniors they were mostly prepping for their ACTS because they will be taking that next month and they want to score high and get into good school. I however have let go of that dream go. Not that I had much to motivate me to go to college because I know deep down I can't afford it and also I can't leave Abu alone He would die of over-stress if I am not there for him. I don't even have a cent to my name, but to make Him and my teachers happy I apply to a couple of schools.

I'm not sure how that would work out considering I plan on staying here with him and keep working on my two jobs after school. The day I overheard Ami and Abu arguing about sending me away was the day I decided to get a job. Hearing her say I was a waste of space that the only use I had was to send me to my grandparents so they could get some benefits for the twins and them was the day I decided to get a job after school to show her that I wasn't a burden that I could help my family. I've always thought that Ami was my real mother until the day my father lost everything. That's when I found out the truth. She was talking to Abu about sending me away to my mother's parents who for some reason I've never met nor do I have any memory of my real mother the only mother I've ever known has never considered me her daughter. It makes sense to me now. The reason why I felt that she always seemed to favor Baheera and Baheeja a lot more than me. Before I thought it was because they were younger than me but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. I was only a freshman in high school when that happened. When my whole world collapsed and everything I knew about myself seemed to have turned out a lie. Like Baheera and Baheeja weren't blood related to me and that my real mom died when I was just a baby suddenly. She slept one night and never woke up again. And my father got remarried to a widow with two children when I was only three. Too young to remember. I read about this in one of Abu's old journals. I've never told anyone what I overheard or found out. I just tried my hardest to satisfy Ami so I wouldn't be abandoned by the only family I've ever known. She raised me so I owe her that's the reason why I give her every one of my paychecks so that I could also help Abu out as well with the bills and other stuff.

When I turned eight-teen two months ago was when I got my second job. So far it's been tough trying to balance it both and still wake up for school in the morning.

When both Baheera and Baheeja where done with the bathroom it was late and I knew I'd miss the school bus and still end up showering in cold water since they finished the hot water. I guess it's me and the city bus again I groaned as I saw the bus leaving.

By the time I was dressed I looked at the time and saw that if I didn't leave this second now I might miss this bus as well. I took my hijab and grabbed my shoes and backpack and ran out the door.

I must have looked like a crazy maniac running towards the bus as people went in. Some of them were looking at me weirdly as I put on my shoes and pulled both straps of my backpack on my shoulders, after digging through it to find my transit pass.

After sitting down on the first available seat I laid my eyes on I put on my fake earbuds so I wouldn't have to deal with nosy creepy people or old pervert that for some reason don't see that I am wearing a hijab which should be a sign that I'm not interested like come on do I have to write on my forehead 'respect the hijab' or 'I am a Muslim not interested' or 'your too old for me' maybe 'Muslimah alert' would sound great maybe then they would get the hint.

I remember a day when this one old man was staring at me the whole time at the bus stop and when I got in there were so many empty seats but guy decided to sit next to me. As for me it was a time I didn't have my earbuds. It was also the time I usually catch up in my sleep but at the moment I didn't feel up to it I tried staying wide awake and this guy is like 'hey beautiful you can sleep on my shoulder. Make it your pillow if you like. I'll wake you up when it's your stop' me being crept out I squashed myself to the window but he kept scooting towards me finally one of the guys he was talking to earlier saved me. Though what they were talking about was very disturbing something about banging hookers or something. I felt very uncomfortable. When he got off I was like really relieved. And thanked Allah for protecting me from him.

thank God I got to school with no disturbance and made it in time for my first class, AP Biology. I sometimes wonder why I registered for that class I like legit hate biological science. It legit drains me dry I mean just imagine having to suffer through bio seven o'clock in the morning could literally make anyone go insane. I choose this class because my guidance counselor thought it would look good if I had more AP and IB class on my transcript. Yeah I am mostly an A student except during the beginning of my sophomore when I was stained with two B's and a C. The C was totally not my fault it was legit the teacher's. She legit had something against me I mean I turned in all my work passes my tests. Not many people in her class got higher than a C except this one girl who was a native speaker of French. But I think that was a bit bias in my book oh well it already passed. So I let that go.

In school I really don't have someone I would call my best friend. I do have friends don't' get me wrong I'm not a sore loser. I'm just not tied down to a clique. Its high school mostly everyone has a certain group of people they always hang out with. I don't understand why people in groups. I believe that if you are a nice person I'd totally talk to you but I'm way above labels the only labels I would ever use are Muslim, girl, and human. You can call me a freak or weirdo all you want, but freaks and weirdos are what make history. That's why I'm in good terms with mostly everyone in my grade as for the grade lower than me other than juniors I really don't have the time to get to know them all and chat up. Harsh to say and admit it but that's life.

Life it just a really harsh test but Allah says he test those whom he loves and I pray that I pass my ultimate test.

"Aziza Balasubramanian could you answer the question." Ms. Olsen asked dragging me out of my deep thoughts. Oh shit this is going to be a long slow day I thought sitting up and looking around the class before making eye contact with her

"Ms. Olsen I honestly didn't catch your question it must have flown away could you repeat it." I asked honestly. For some weird reason everyone in class laughed. I must have not gotten the joke I guessed shrugging.

"Ms. Balasubramanian see me after class" was all she said as she continued her lesson.

I hope you all and a blessed eid and Ramadan. I decided to share it with you as an eid gift to my fellow wattpad readers I've been really excited to write this story and share it with you guy for a long time so I hope you all like it

Please don't forget to VOTE! and COMMENT! Your support really mean a lot💞