Chapter Four

Mostly everything in life is predictable. It is just that we as humans and make things look more complicated then they really are. We seem to always forget that Allah is always with us. No matter how much of a sinner we are he is always watching over us. That we sometimes forget that he is in no need of us we are in need of him. We are in need of him in every way whether it be  guidance, Protection or sustenance. Our imperfections are what makes us all human. I took that as a reminder as we finished Juma'a prayer and waited for most people to file out so it would be easier us to find our shoes. I did a once over sweep on the place disappointedly noticing that Daniel might have left. I asked Isabel to drop me off at the diner in which I work at on their way for a frozen yogurt.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
As I was walking home from the diner I saw Daniel at a bench alone as though he was waiting for someone
"Salaam Aliekum Daniel." I stopped by him and greeted him
"Wa Aliekum salaam Ziza." He said smiling in my direction. He had really straight really white teeth and a very infectious smile. Even though I was having a bad day because of Ami constantly calling my phone to remind me of the so called 'special dinner' him smiling made me smile unconsciously. Forgetting to ask him how he knew it was me talking to him.
"Fancy seeing you around here alone without your driver." I said without thinking and mentally smacked myself. I mean who says fancy anymore. Like fancy this, fancy that, fancy me, fancy you- Oh shit I zoned him out talking to myself. I thought still staring at him but not really seeing him until I noticed he wasn't wearing his shades anymore.
"Ma shaa Allah you have beautiful eyes." I told him without thinking. Though they were brown and seemed a bit hazy I felt as though I could see in his soul. They were beautiful warm and radiant.
"Thanks, no one has ever said that to me before and they are useless now but thanks." He said laughing at first then his mood changed. I could seriously see the darken aura around him.
"Are you okay?" I asked a bit concerned that he might have hurt himself.
"No. Not really. I talked to my father today he said he had set up an appointment for me to see another specialist so they could fix and finally get rid of this curse. My blindness isn't a curse it is a blessing."
"How So?" I asked looking at him curiously wondering why he thought being blind wasn't a bad thing most people do.
"That's a long story to tell, and not many people are willing to listen without making me feel like I'm going totally insane."

"Well what better way than to tell your life story to a complete stranger I don't know you so I highly most likely wouldn't brand you as insane unless you're doing something really illegal then I'm going to have a problem with that"
"I'll share my story if you promise to share yours."
"Who says I had a story to tell. I live a very boring life."
"Come on Ziza everyone has a story to tell. And the best stories come from those who claim they have no story to tell." He said just as my phone beeped a text from Ami
"How about you tell me yours today and while we eat at the Italian restaurant across the street I'm hungry and I'll tell you mine the next time we meet that's if we meet."
"Trust me we will." He murmured very lowly and I almost didn't catch. We crossed the street and the waiter settled us on an empty table and we ordered our beverages and food as we waited I felt guilty about  the money I was going to spend this evening because Ami still doesn't know about my second job yet and I haven't given her any of my paycheck a from second job the retail store. But I was angry and for once I wanted to do something she didn't like. In her eyes I'm a disappointment, and wast of space even though I contribute to most of the twins unnecessary expenses. I want some me time.
"How is it that we always seem to meet in the most unexpected places." I asked as we waited for our food. And I turned off my phone
"I don't know maybe it's fate." He said laughing

As we waited we played 21 questions not even get to ten I think  before we just stopped and I waited not pushing him into telling me just waiting until he was ready. When our food arrived was when he finally started talking

"I was with my friend, Ibrahim when it happened. Everyone seems to forget about him Whenever they mention the accident. He was my driver and has been working for my family for as long as I could remember. He was Muslim you know. And he used to tell me a lot of things about Islam. You know the sad part, no one seems to see the fact that I made it through but he didn't. He had a family as well six children and two grand kids. He used to tell me a lot about them. You could tell he loved them so much by the way he spoke of them.
After I got out of the hospital I visited them. Even though I was afraid they were going to blame me for his death.  Or why didn't the new headlines ever mention him. And the drunk truck driver behind bars. Why not him. And do you know what they did? His family welcomed me... They welcomed me with open arms. At that moment I was grateful to Allah for everything.
I'm grateful to God for making me blind. Everyone else might see it as a tragedy that my life has no meaning anymore but I see it as a blessing. Because if it wasn't for that accident I don't think I would have known the meaning of my existence. I don't think I would have come back to Allah. I was given a second chance and for that I'm grateful." He told me and I for the first time in my life felt a deep connection to someone. I don't know if it was respect or admiration but by Allah I was moved.
We ended up having a really good time and I even loss track of time  that was until one of my aunties, ami's older sister come into the restaurant with her family. She saw my face and gave me the dirty look like I was doing something wrong. Flustered I asked Daniel if we could leave early. I was grateful that he didn't ask why, but before I could pay for my half of the meal he paid for everything without asking me. Not that I'm complaining or anything it just feels weird.
"Well until next time Ziza." He said before going to the direction of where he mentioned he lived which was in the opposite direction in were I lived.
As I walked home I thought of all the excuses I could come up with so that I wouldn't get in trouble for missing the so 'special dinner'. But it was no use. Aunty Jannah most likely had called up Ami and told her where I was by now. Oh Allah save me from her wrath. I knew that if I got home I'd be verbally and maybe physically attacked depending on if Baba was home or not.
Opening the door to our small apartment I was relieved that he was. He was sitting and reading. I tiptoed towards him I almost got there before Baheeja called out to mom that I was back home. I ran and sat next to him as close as possible to try and get away from the modern day medusa. Who seemed ready to detach all my limps before turning me into stone.

"What were you doing at a restaurant with a white boy? You see Kareem your daughter goes to restaurants with boys and you always complain about me scolding her? And she missed the special dinner I prepared for Amir and his family to join us. And she goes and eat at an American restaurant with a white American boy. Could you believe her?" She yelled not sure if it was me or baba
"Janeen calm down let her explain I'm sure she has a perfectly good explanation for this." Baba said gently trying to calm her down.
"She has no respect for her elders. No respect at all. She is too Americanized. Going to restaurant with boys next thing you know she will be saying she will move out and live with a boy without getting married." Her accusation shocked both me and baba.
"Janeen!" Baba exclaimed
"It is true. She will be ruining this families reputation if we don't stop her now." She demanded making me angry enough to speak up and defend myself. I would never do something like that
"Baba he was just a friend of mine and he needed help. And someone to talk to because he is going though a rough time now. Someone he knew very well died and you always taught me that we should always lend a hand to all our Muslim brothers and sisters. That it is our duty as Muslims to help one another." I told baba honestly reminding him as he looked at me with disappointment. The look he was giving me was breaking my heart. I don't know when I started crying but the next thing I know baba was hugging me and telling me that I shouldn't do something like that again and that the next time I come home late I should call to let him know so he wouldn't be worried about me.

Please don't forget to VOTE! and COMMENT! Your support really mean a lot💞