Broken

Hana woke up with a start in the middle of the night after having a night mare about her father. She shook her head to clear her thoughts and realized that she was thirsty.

She snuck out of her room and tip toed quietly up the stairs to the fifth floor as not to wake anyone.

She finally found the kitchen and picked up a clean glass to fill when she noticed an interesting picture on the wall.

She walked over to it and saw that it was a picture of Mewa's wedding to her husband with the whole family in it. She couldn't help but smile at their happy faces. What a beautiful family-

CRASH!! Someone slammed Hana into the wall and crushing the empty glass which cut into her right forearm. She quickly hid her bleeding arm behind her back and turned to face whoever had bumped her.

"Watch where you stand in the dark, idiot." Futo's voice sneered. "I-I'm s-sorry!" She whispered, Futo scoffed and stalked off, much to Hana's relief.

As soon as he was gone, Hana turned to the glass and started frantically trying to clean up the shards of glass before blood got on the carpet.

She froze as she heard footsteps behind her. The lights flicked on as the person entered the kitchen. Her heart beat louder and louder in fear as she heard footsteps getting closer.

"Hana? What are you doing up so late?" Said the voice of Natsume from behind her. She stood up and turned to look at him with tears in her eyes.

"I-I needed s-some w-w-water and I s-saw your p-picture and F-F-Futo accidentally knocked me into the wall and-and-and..." She took a deep raspy breath, "I broke a glass. I'm so so sorry!" She whispered as tears streamed down her face and she bowed apologetically. Natume was amazed that she could say all of this without raising her voice.

Natsume took a step towards her, but immediately regretted it when she covered her head with her right hand as if she expected to be struck. That's when he saw the blood.

"You're hurt." He stated with a frown. Hana quickly hid the arm that wasn't in the sling. "It's nothing. I'm fine!" She said passively. "No, you're not. Let me help you." He said sternly. "Okay." She relented and held out her arm for him to inspect.

He started to pick glass out of her forearm when they heard a small "huh?" Natsume turned to face Subaru. "What happened?" Subaru asked, spotting the blood.

"She came downstairs for a drink and she was looking at that picture when Futo bumped her into the wall. He went to bed apparently without knowing she was hurt. I was woken up by the sound of voices and walked to the living room to see this." He motioned to Hana's arm, "Now, would you please get the first aid kit?" Natsume asked.

Subaru nodded and a ran to the kitchen where he retrieved a small white box and started to help Natsume carefully pick out glass.

Once they cleared out all the glass,Natume cleaned and bandaged the cuts. When he was done she bowed to her brothers. "Please don't be angry with Futo. He didn't know I had the glass and it was dark." She pleaded. Subaru and Natsume nodded. "He won't get in trouble, now get some sleep."

Hana nodded and was about to go upstairs when Subaru called out to her. "Hana," She turned to face him with a confused expression as Subaru looked away and muttered,"D-don't be afraid to ask for help, okay?" He asked as a blush crept over his cheeks.

She smiled at him, the first smile to ever reach her eyes. "Okay." She answered and snuck off to bed.

Sunday July 12th 7:00 am

Her eyes flew open after another nightmare. Nightmares weren't uncommon for her. She shook her head and opened her door because her room was too hot.

She sang in Gaelic as she made her bed.

Is mise lem chridhe fo iargain,
'S mo smaointean gur trom gach tràth,
'N till d' athair a-ris bhon bhlàr.

She sang this as Tsubaki, Azusa, and Natsume were walking down the hall. Natsume was telling his brothers what happened last night and Tsubaki was plotting against Futo when they heard her singing.

Azusa and Natsume froze, listening to the tear jerking song as Tsubaki slowly walk into her room, watching her as she made her bed with her back towards the door.

He noticed that she was crying. His heart swayed by the sound of her melodious voice. He reached out and hugged her tightly from behind, causing her to stop singing and freeze in his hold. Her face turned crimson.

"I was right." Tsubaki said solemnly, holding her close. "Your voice is beautiful." He said as a single tear ran down his cheek.

Hana was frozen. 'He heard me?!' She thought nervously. Then she noticed the tears on hers and Tsubaki's faces. 'Why is he crying?!' She thought, still frozen. 'Wait, why am I crying!?! What's going on!?!'

Her eyes darted around the room, looking for a way to escape his grasp, when he was suddenly pulled off of her.  She turned to see that Azusa had pulled Tsubaki (who was now struggling,) away by his collar. And Natsume was frowning in the doorway.

Her cheeks darkened when she saw them. "Let me go!" Tsubaki said, fighting to go back to Hana. "Stop it." Natume said, annoyed.

"Hanna, how's your arm?" Azusa asked with a calming smile, she looked away. "It's okay, it doesn't hurt anymore." She replied

"Well, it's time for breakfast!" Said Tsubaki, who had stopped squirming. "Let's go see what Ukyo made." He marched out the door. Azusa followed with a sigh.

Natsume turned to Hana. "Masaomi said you could take the sling and bandage off your left arm." He said seriously, and then he surprised her with a sly smile. "And just to warn you, Tsubaki wants to take you shopping. Good luck. I'm going to work, call me if you need anything."

She nodded and thanked him as he walked out. As soon as he was gone she changed into her green and blue sun dress she had for certain occasions, and put on some light makeup on her bruises that Ema had given her for her face, and headed downstairs.