Mean Girls

Hana tuned the corner and her sunny smile dropped. She saw Ema looking like a deer in head lights, backed up against the wall of lockers behind her.

A group of four girls came into view. The one in front held up a hot coffee and sneered at Ema. She took off the lid gingerly, staring into the scalding brown liquid.

"You know, Ema..." The girl started slowly, the three behind her snickered. "Girls who don't stay away from our precious Futo get BURNED!" On the last word she threw the coffee at Ema.

Hana panicked and jumped in between Ema and the coffee. The hot beverage covered her chest and arms, soaking her.

Yet the only burn she could feel was the burning loathing inside her. She did not hate the girls, she hated what they were doing. And what they might become. 

"Who are you?" Another girl asked in a snide tone. Hana said nothing but stood up straight. Himura and Suzuki walked over and stood on either side of her. Himura draped his jacket over Hana's shoulders. The girls began to feel intimidated.

"My name is Asahina Hana, I'm Ema's little sister. What on earth possessed you do such a thing?" Hana asked, her words coated in venom.

One of the girls scoffed. "What can you do? Your just a kid. Go away, grown ups are talking.

"She's fifteen. And more of an adult that you'll ever be." Suzuki spat at them. "Goes to college after all." Himura added, scowling at the girls. The girls started to back up. Ema, however, was still frozen in fear.

"Why did you do this?" Hana asked, her voice was not scary, or hateful, or even mad. It was kind of... sad. She looked up at the girls, a look of disappointment and fear. 

The girl at the front of the group scoffed, trying to look as if she wasn't intimidated at all. "She was hanging around Futo too much. She's a selfish brat. She doesn't deserve our Futo."

Hana balled her fists. Anger flared inside her. "The only selfish brats here are you guys. He's our brother!" She scolded them, the girls backed up a few paces. Their faces noticeably fearful.

Out of the blue,  Hana smiled brightly at them. "And if you wanted to meet Futo, why didn't you just say so?" She asked, walking towards them.

Hana grabbed the hand of the girl who threw the coffee and started pulling her into the cafeteria, with a throng of  utterly bewildered high schoolers following the two.

The group walked through the cafeteria. Hana paid no attention to lingering stares
Or the whispers of "that wierd girl wearing a boys' jacket."

Hana's eyes zeroed in on the person in the room she was most afraid of. She took a deep breath and shoved back her fears, making her way to Futo.

"Hey Futo!" She called out. The girl in her grip desperately tried to run away but Hana was surprisingly strong.

Foto's face lit up with a smile. "Hey Hana, what are you doing here? Oh! How did your test at the university go?" Hana was slightly confused. Why was he being so nice? She shrugged it off.

"Hi Futo. The test when great, thanks. And I'm here because Yuusuke forgot his lunch." Hana smiled at him. "Anyway this girl wanted to meet you." Hana thrust the girl in front of her.

"So much that she went so far as to try to pour hot coffee on Ema. She missed!" Hana laughed slightly as she moved Himura's jacket to the side a bit, uncovering some of the coffee stain on her shirt.

"Anyways, see you at home!" She waved as she turned and hugged Ema. "Have a great day." She broke the hug and stared at Ema sternly. "Ema, if someone bothers you tell me. I'm always here for you." Ema smiled and hugged Hana back. "Ok I promise."