Chapter One

Song of the chapter - Soul Searcher by Tom Player

~

With the jumping beat of a song in her ears, Lily Morgan was almost enjoying her walk home from school. Despite the fact that it was raining, humid, and her Aunt Ollie had an emergency shift so she couldn't pick her up. The music was the only good thing about her walk home.

If her music stopped, so would Lily. She would stop and cry out of frustration.

Lily was heavily reliant on her music to get her through the several kilometre walk. The pavement was wonky with tree roots coming from the forest nearby. As Lily's beat-up trainers thudded in puddles on the path, she almost smiled as the beat dropped in her song. 

Popping her lips in time with the tunes, Lily looked up around her and felt a sense of wariness as she locked eyes with the dark forest and its shadows.

Her class today had been on the dangers of the woods and the darkness. Most teachers warn their students of the possible bandits, drug dealers, and rapists that patrolled the woods for victims. Most schools pressured use of the buddy system: to always travel with a male friend and/or another person.

Her school wasn't most schools. Her teachers weren't most teachers.

Lily's teachers taught her and her classmates how to unleash their claws, use their inner supernatural abilities to defend themselves, and blend in with humanity. 

Nova High School was created by the Supernova over a decade ago, which taught all the students no matter their supernatural race about the rules of their beings, and how to control their powers. 

There was shifting classes for the werewolves to gain control of their beastly side, as well as blood control classes and classrooms with tinted windows for the vampires ease. The agricultural gardens were for the witches, so they could be at one with nature and control their earthly abilities. The nurses office consisted of fairies, helping them come to terms with their powers of healing.

With compulsory classes for every supernatural creature to go over the rules and history of all the species known, Lily had a breeze of a timetable. She didn't have a compulsory class, only basic human subjects. She had a lot of free time. 

Unlike everyone in the school, she didn't know what type of supernatural she was. Werewolf, vampire, fairy, or witch? Lily had no idea. 

Although those four were the most common there were others species too, just so rare everyone's forgotten what they were. The only other factor they had in their community was the Supernova - the most powerful supernatural in the world and the leader of them all, the rank gave them the right to dictate everyone as they saw fit - for who could challenge the powerful?

The only reason Lily knew she was supernatural was because of her family. She never found out what kind exactly before they died. 

Thinking of her family made her heart ache, and Lily turned her music down with a sigh. Feeling her thick red hair stick to her face from the heavy downpour, the orphan looked towards the forest once again, out of the corner of her eye. Something pulled in her gut but Lily hesitated. 

Her Nova High studies told her walking through the forest was a bad idea, especially with the dangers it held. It was very dangerous for her because she didn't know how to use her unknown abilities to defend herself. Lily only knew basic self-defence. 

But it meant a quicker walk home and less time in the rain.

Decision made, Lily diverted into the forest, quickly noticing less rain pouring on her. Humming the next song to herself, she could feel her mood start to pick up at the new path.