Chapter Twenty

Lily was sitting in the principal's office again. This time, she had a blanket over her shoulders but she wasn't shaking from the cold. Her mind kept replaying what happened in class only an hour ago.

The school bell had rung and her fellow students were heading home - though some were still light-headed from Meditation.

Lily still didn't know what happened nor what she actually did. All she remembered was the sounds of the waves from Miss Winters' laptop, and how her instinct flooded her body. She remembered that there was someone, or something that set off her creature.

Lily was snapped out of her thoughts when Principal Lauren set a cup of tea in front of her. He smiled gently as he took a seat in his chair, and Mrs Khan sat on Lily's left.

"Your aunt is on call so she can't pick you up just yet." Mr Lauren said, watching Lily carefully. "Mrs Khan will stay with you until she arrives, okay?"

Lily absentmindedly nodded, clutching the warm mug in her cold hands. She couldn't look either of them in the eye. Mrs Khan shifted in her seat, locking eyes with Mr Lauren.

"Look, Lily, I know this is difficult," she began to say, hesitating when Lily flinched. "But we need to know what happened."

"I don't even know what happened." Lily croaked out, staring at the floor. "I don't... I don't know what she did, she just...reacted. I didn't know what she was doing, I didn't know what everyone was going through, please you have to believe me, I-"

"It's alright Lily, we believe you." Mrs Khan assured, gently resting a hand on her shoulder. Lily was trembling, her eyes welling up. Her emotions were clawing at her throat again. She desperately wanted to go home, but she didn't have the strength to walk. And Lily swore she'd never drive after what happened to her family.

Mr Lauren leaned forward onto his desk, leveling with her. "Lily, can you describe what happened before you went into the trance?"

Lily's hands fidgeted around the mug. "I... I think there was someone else in the room." She admitted. "I think she sensed someone else, and then I don't remember much, but when I came out of it, she was fine. I think they'd left."

"Someone else?" Mr Lauren asked.

"I was trying to relax, meditate, so I counted the people in the room, and there were fourteen of us, one more than normal." Lily took a sip of the hot tea to stop the shiver down her spine. "I... I don't know what happened."

Mrs Khan pursed her lips. "There were thirteen of you when we got to the classroom."

A headache formed behind Lily's eyes. "Is everyone okay?"

Mr Lauren sat up, sharing another look with the witch teacher. "Belissa is resting after over-exerting her healing abilities. The vampires; Karen, Thalia, and Hope are recovering in sick bay while their parents pick them up. Irene, Sammy, Annie, and Mason are resting back at their pack house, and Poppy's a little bruised after hanging out the window but nurses looked after her. Jack was the only one who didn't pass out, so she recovered after some fresh air."

Mrs Khan raised a brow. "She was complaining at the hassle, so I say she was perfectly fine."

Lily shrugged a little. "Sounds like Jack."

"Lily, we can't tolerate using your abilities like this." Mr Lauren's voice dropped.

"Sir, I don't know what my abilities are!"

"We're aware you're in a peculiar situation, but what you did was dangerous." He lips were narrowed to a thin unforgiving line despite his soft pitiful eyes, and Lily's heart sunk.