Q&A + Thank You

For the end of Tempest, and the Supernova Duology, here's one last Q&A and a longer thank you. I know author's notes at the end of chapters can be annoying and I know people skip them (I do too) but if you want to read the big thank you it's at the end of this. 

How old are Lily, Niall, Jack, and Haidan?

At the time of Tempest Chapter 25, before the seven year jump in the epilogue, Lily is 18, Jack is 17, and Niall and Haidan are 19. 

What's the story behind Lily, Jack, Niall, and Haidan's names? 

I love this question because it's actually a complete spoiler. Most of you picked up that Lily's name is entirely water-themed, but the rest of them are all elemental in their own right, because as you'll find out when you read the rest of this Q&A, I'm a complete dork and I love it. 

Lily Nerida Morgan: Lily, derived from the flower, can mean passion, purity, but also rebirth. Nerida is of Greek origin meaning sea nymph, or mermaid, and Morgan is of Welsh origin meaning sea chief/defender/protector, and sailor/captain, and also has the connection to the myth of King Arthur's sister Morgan le Fay.  

Jacinta "Jack" Sage Garcia-Slater: Jacinta means precious stone. Sage is an aromatic plant, and the term 'sage advice' is sound, intelligent advice from a wise/experienced person sometimes used ironically or sarcastically. Garcia means brave. Slater is a nod to slate, as a nod to earth, like the element. 

Haidan Tariq: Haidan means fire, and Tariq means bright or morning star - all of Arabic origin. The sun is also a star, is it not? He's a literal phoenix - by both name and nature. I do quite love Haidan, he was one of my favourite characters to write. 

Niall Guthrie: Niall, originally Gaelic/Irish, means cloud (some say it means champion, but I first read cloud so I went with that. There was no connection to the musician). Guthrie is Gaelic, Scottish origin from what I could find, meaning windy place. His middle name, Patrick, wasn't an elemental nod but more a personal one, named after my late aunt.

Can you make a map? 

What I should have done was photographed it landscape, but I drew it portrait for some reason. Here's the map of Trawalla, Widderin, and Tyrill! You can see the two clearings where Lily jumped off a waterfall and stopped a tsunami, where Haidan's house is (marked by flame) and Jack's house (epic tree) and Lily's home (marked by a lily) and Niall's home (wind and snowboard). That black banner at the bottom of the picture are my leggings, fun fact #LegReveal 

 That black banner at the bottom of the picture are my leggings, fun fact #LegReveal 

LADY OF THE LAKE/IT IS AN ELEMENTAL STORY OMG!!!?!?

So, funnily enough, the element aspect of T&T wasn't planned at the beginning. When I first began writing Typhoon, Lily was originally going to be a Siren, but as I kept going and adding more detail, I realised it wasn't going to make sense with any siren mythology - I'd accidentally created something bigger than I intended. As I was writing my mind thought further ahead - Haidan, Jack, and Niall were formed to be personified elements.