Chapter Twelve

Lily woke up the next morning rejuvenated and ready for her day, laying out her casual and comfortable clothes for when she got out the shower. While the water was running, steam clouding her bathroom, she unwound the bandage on her hand. Aunt Ollie had laid out a fresh one for her to use, knowing it'd be caked and unusable for a second day's wear.

The bandage was smooth and fluffy as Lily rolled it up. She removed the gauze as well, remembering it was good to wash the wound, clean it.

Except her hand was completely healed.

Lily was staring, jaw dropped, as she took in her shaking hand. There was nothing but a faint line of a scar, a shimmer against her pale skin. She blinked rapidly and prayed she wasn't insane, that the impossible hadn't occurred. 

What was she?! She hadn't heard of any of the four creatures she knew healing this fast from a wound. Ryan's eye was only just staring to clear up and Lily had punched him four days ago.

Lily took a long, calming breath to stop the panic and fear lacing her bones. She pushed her shaking body into the shower, into her routine, letting the water wash her panic away.

While she was getting dressed Lily decided to put on a clean bandage anyway. What would everyone think if they found out about her rapid healing? The less attention the better, she kept thinking as she wound and fastened the new bandage. Blowing out a shaky breath and tying her hair back in a simple plait, Lily left her home and her anxieties behind. 

At Nova High, she was still surprised that Claire, Karen, and Jack were all waiting for her yet again. Lily still wasn't used to the idea of having friends but she approached with a shy smile.

Jack smiled slowly, eyes alight in mischief. "How was dinner last night?"

Lily gulped as Karen turned to her, curious, and Claire jumped in excitement. "Ooh! With the alpha, right? How'd it go? What's the pack house like? Did you see his wolf form?!"

Lily blinked, stepping back from the bouncing fairy as Jack pulled her back. "Give Lily a break Claire, jeez!"

The fairy shrugged off Jack's hand. Claire pouted, jewel-like eyes dancing. "I'm just asking Jack, leave me alone." 

Karen cocked her head to the side, hesitating briefly, before turning to Lily. "Did you have a nice time?"

Lily smiled, thankful for the easier question. "Yeah, it was nice."

Claire beamed. "Did Andrew cook? I heard from Orla, who's in Renee's class, that he's a fantastic chef."

Jack looked at her like she was alien. Lily shuffled her feet a bit. "Um, no, Croft cooked."

"What was it!?" Claire's curly hair flew about as she nodded for her to speak, like each detail added an hour to her life. "Was it a French cuisine? Italian? Or did he go with a more Indian specialty?"

"Steak and chips." 

Claire's expression fell. "Oh."

Jack burst into laughter, Karen smiling softy, and the witch smacked her legs in hysterics. "Y-Your face!" She wheezed.

Claire scowled. "Shut up." She mumbled, but Jack kept on laughing.

Lily wrung her hands together. "Shall we head to class?" She suggested, seeing there was only a few minutes left before the bell went.

Jack stopped laughing, but rubbed her hands together in glee, those rings practically glowing in the morning sun. "What do you have? Are you with me, Lily?"