Numero Trece

"Sydney?"

"Carter."

"Wow. Uh... How are you?"

"This isn't what I called you for."

"Then, what is it?"

"I heard your voicemail. I wanted closure. After this, I'm not talking to you ever again."

"Um... OK... What do you want to hear? That I'm super duper sorry that I called you ever in the first place? That I hate you? What do you want to say? That you hate me? That you want to castrate me? What?"

"I wanted to know what happened that day. Last week."

"Oh, yeah! You didn't call me in a week. Got you. Okay. So... I um... I broke up with my girlfriend. My- uh.. You know what? Never mind. Late-,"

"Tell me."

"Why do you need to know? You're going to hear what happened and never talk to me again. What's the point? You know what? I don't get girls. They say one thing, but they mean the other. Then they blame men for things. I don't get it."

"Don't go all Dr. Phil on me now. Okay! You're the one who had the foul mood that day! You're the one who wouldn't let me help you! I bet you didn't ever listen to that voicemail I sent you!"

"I did."

"Yeah, right."

"I played it seven times everyday for the past nine days."

"And why would I believe you?"

"Because it's the truth..."

"How do I know you're not lying?"

"Because I'm not."

"You know. You seem to be quiet. Why aren't you yelling or sound frustrated like me?"

"Because I am."

"Is every one of your answers going to start with because?!"

"Maybe."

"Whatever. I try getting closure and moving on, but I can't have it."

"....." 

"Goodbye, Carter."

"..."

"Later, Sydney."