Five

"If you're talking of sense then you'll lose your mind,
I found love where it wasn't supposed to be,
Right in front of me,
Talk some sense to me."
Amber Run, I Found

D A I S Y

I let myself into Magnus' apartment and lay down on the couch, feeling my eyes start to water. 'Don't cry, Daisy,' I whispered to myself. 'Don't cry.'

Why can't I cry? Nobody's even here to see me.

And the tears fell, soaking my cheeks. Oh my God, what have I done? I got kicked out of Faerie for dating a vampire and then calling the Queen blind for not helping the Shadowhunters enough. Wow. Way to go, Daisy. If you'd just been slightly more calm, none of this ever would have happened. Apart from maybe dating the vampire. Even I can see that was a stupid mistake.

My phone rang, shattering the silence. I sat up, fingers fumbling in the dark for my phone.

MAGNUS, the display read. 'Hello?' I said. 'Magnus, what's wrong?'

'Well,' Magnus said. 'I've given you my keys.'

I took a second to realise what he was saying. 'Magnus. Do you want me to wait and play Subway Surfers or whatever so I can let you back in?'

A pause. 'You have Subway Surfers? You're two hundred years old.'

'Magnus. I'm trying to sleep here.'

'It's two in the morning!'

'Exactly!' I sighed. 'Look, I'll stay awake until you come home and let you in.'

'No!' Magnus sounded desperate. 'No, um, I need you to come here and give me the keys.'

'What?'

'It's important.'

'So I'm just supposed to hang around with the new fledgling and-' I swallowed. 'Raphael until you're ready to go home? Magnus, I- I can't.'

'Please, Daisy.' Magnus sighed. 'I'll owe you forever.'

'You could magick the door open, Magnus.' I made a last desperate attempt.

'But... You need to come.' Magnus sounded like he was actually upset.

'I literally just left you and Alec,' I said desperately. 'Look, um, Jace is there and he hates me, so it would be really awkward and, uh, I don't even know Simon, so...'

'You've seen a vampire rise before,' Magnus said. 'Get there quick and you could help.'

'Magnus,' I said softly. 'Are you insane? You do realise he's there, right? Last time I saw him he almost ripped my wing off!'

'Don't call me Magnus,' Magnus chuckled. 'Call me Cupid. See you soon.'

The line went dead.

Oh, fuck you, Magnus. This is ridiculous. I don't even know these stupid Shadowhunters. I'm not going.

But even as I thought it, I was heading for the door. I'm screwed.