Eight

A-N- WOW!!! Over 3k reads. That's so freaking awesome!! I'm honestly so amazed and seriously speechless. (Or type less. Whatever.)
You are all amazing and I love you so so much! If you ever want to chat, fangirl over Shadowhunters or just rant at me about something that's annoying you- I don't bite. And I love chatting to people! :)
So, I was thinking, if I get to 5k reads, I could do a kind of bonus chapter into Daisy's past. I've hinted at things to do with Maryse Lightwood and obviously Raphael, but I don't know if you guys would be interested in learning more or if nah.

Let me know :) and thanks again for so many reads!!

"I'm your mortal flaw,
You're my fatal sin."

D A I S Y

My heart wouldn't stop thumping.

Watch out, demon eyes.

Demon eyes. Instinctively I blinked, as if I could wash away the colours of my eyes. Isabelle peered at me curiously, confusion written over her face.

'You said the Silent Brothers wanted to see me?' I asked, hoping Isabelle would take the hint. I want to be alone. Please.

'And Alec,' Isabelle said, already on her feet. 'Do you want me to go get him? He'll be really pleased you're awake, you know.'

'Right,' I muttered. 'Um, okay. Bring him in.'

I winced. Bring him in? Lawyer much?

'Sure.' And then Isabelle was gone, her black hair flying out behind her.

I leant back on my wings, feeling as if I'd just been slapped. Demon eyes.

I didn't have demon eyes. Demon eyes meant- well, to Shadowhunters and other Downworlders it meant faeries who were born with completely black eyes. But to faeries it meant those with normal human eyes. Normally only faeries with royal blood has brown, blue, green or hazel eyes, like the Queen. Although half-faeries normally had human eyes, but I was full faerie. I knew that. I couldn't lie.

I had deep brown eyes. Mundane eyes.

The only traits that marked me as faerie were my wings and my pointed ears. Most faeries had more markings than that- black eyes and wings, bodies the size of twigs, flowers for hair, ribcages of wood...

You have been weighed in the balance and found wanting. I didn't want to think about that- about the hidden meaning only I knew.

Well. I was the only alive person who understood the significance of those ten words.

The door swung open, and Alec rushed inside. 'Daisy,' he breathed. 'Are you okay? Jace thought you were dead!'

'Jace knows I'm alive,' I grunted, heaving myself upright and letting my wings flutter around me. 'We just had a very interesting chat.'

'He said you were coughing blood!' Alec said, possibly louder than was necessary.

'I think it's sorted now,' I said, hoping I was right. 'Isabelle said something about the Silent Brothers?'

Alec stood at the foot of my bed, clasping and unclasping his hands nervously. 'They were curious,' he admitted. 'Magnus arrived in the middle of the night with you, covered in blood and unconscious, saying something about Hodge's medicine and the Silent Brothers...'

'Hodge?'

'Hodge Starkweather,' Alec said. 'You know, he left the Institute...'

'Yeah, I knew Hodge.' I blinked, rubbing my temples. 'He always loved his books, didn't he? Speaking of which, is Maryse here? I heard she was exiled here.'

Alec flinched. 'Yes. How old are you, again?'

Ah, so age is a sore subject for Alec. 'Old enough,' I said, shrugging. 'Over twenty-one. I can legally drink.'

Alec perched on the edge of my bed, near my feet. 'So, you knew my mother when she was younger?'

'She saved my life once,' I said carefully. 'She's- she's very like Isabelle, I think. Not as much like you.'

'How so?' Alec leant forwards, and I realised how little he must know about his parents. The people who joined Valentine in the Circle.

'Maryse and Isabelle...' I paused, unsure of how to explain it. 'They're all action and sharp edges and dazzling lights, and you're softer, I guess. It's hard to explain.'

'So I'm a sofa,' Alec said. 'That's basically what you're saying.'

I reached up and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, watched how Alec's eyes drew to my collarbone and the words etched there, and how just as quickly his eyes flickered away and landed on my hands. 'By the Angel, Daisy, your hands are blue!' He exclaimed. 'Aren't they warm enough?'

I glanced down at my fingers. 'They don't feel cold,' I remarked.

Alec sighed and reached out, grabbing on hand in two of his and moving closer to me, then blowing on my hand lightly. Heat rushed into my cheeks.

Alec looked slightly surprised with himself, as if he couldn't believe he'd reached out for me, but as my hands started to return to their normal colour he looked slightly less uncomfortable.

He rubbed his thumbs over my hands, still not looking up at me. 'The Brothers will be here soon,' he said quietly. 'They're with Mom at the moment, I think. There's something-'

He paused. 'Something they didn't expect. I'm not sure what it is, but they've been talking to mom about it for ages.'

I felt a flicker of panic. 'The tattoos, maybe? I don't know how they got there. Maybe it was magic, or maybe it was- I don't know.'

'It scares you,' Alec said quietly. 'And it scares me, too. I don't even know what the first part means, but the second bit- the bit in English- "you have been weighed in the balance and found wanting"-'

'Its a kind of death threat to faeries and warlocks,' I said, my eyes not leaving Alec's face. 'Demon halves and all that. The evil in every faerie.'

'You believe that?' Alec looked up, his voice sharp. 'Daisy.'

This time I was staring down at our linked hands. Alec had stopped trying to warm my hands- they were no longer cold. In contrast, my entire body was boiling hot.

He let go of one of my hands and lifted my chin. 'Faeries aren't evil, Daisy.'

'I'm half demon, Alec. Can you honestly tell me I'm not evil?'

'Yes, I can.' Alec stared at me. 'You're good, Daisy. You're real, and true, and good. You aren't evil.'

I shook my head. 'You barely even know me.' My voice was soft, soft and quiet.

'I know enough,' Alec replied simply.

I swallowed. 'You don't know what I've done. You don't know the things-' I broke off.

'Everyone makes mistakes.' Alec said firmly. 'The past is the past.'

The past is never the past, Alec. The past is a ghost, and mine is coming back to haunt me.

Written whilst listening to I Get To Love You by Ruelle. It's on the side, so go watch it! It's amazing :)

Vote, comment, follow.

xxx Jade