Seven

"I'll keep breathing,
Til my heart stops."

D A I S Y

'What?' I felt my heart speed up. Jace Wayland- or Morgensten- or Lightwood- whatever he preferred to call himself- had made it incredibly clear he didn't like me.

Why, I wasn't sure. Maybe just because I was a faerie, and the Queen had played with his mind, as she did with most mortal men, and if Jace couldn't take his anger out on the Queen, at least he could take it out on another faerie.

'Alec,' Jace said sharply. 'What's going on with you and him?'

I stared at him blankly. 'Alec?'

'Tall, black hair, blue eyes, Shadowhunter,' Jace said. 'Surely you've met him?'

'Yes,' I said, wondering if there was any way to get out of this conversation. 'Alec. What about him?'

'He's my parabatai,' Jace said. 'And you're a faerie.'

'I really don't understand what you're getting at.'

'I want him to be safe,' Jace said slowly. 'And I don't trust you. You were talking to him, and-'

'And I'm a faerie and we're all backstabbing traitorous bitches in your opinion,' I said angrily. 'You want me to stay away from him, is your point. You think I'm trouble.'

'Of course I think you're trouble!' Jace almost shouted. 'You're a Downworlder! You're a faerie! You can't lie, but you twist the truth so much it's hardly the truth anymore, and you're the Queen's favourite, Magnus said, and-'

I scooted away from him on the bed. Something had happened, that much was clear, something that- to Jace, at least- was earth-shattering. He wasn't particularly mad at me. He was just angry, and he wanted someone or something to channel his anger onto, and here I was, like a sitting duck. I wasn't someone he loved, and I wasn't someone he should care about. I wasn't a Shadowhunter and I was even someone he'd been suspicious about from the start.

It was like winning the lottery.

That was when Isabelle walked in. 'Jace,' she began, and then her eyes widened. 'Jace! What are you doing?'

Jace blinked, backing away from me slowly. 'I-' he began.

Isabelle's shoes made clacking noises on the floor as she stepped forwards, her dark eyes angry. 'I appreciate that you are angry,' she said sternly, sounding so much like her mother that I bit my lip in surprise, recalling Maryse talking to me years before. Run, faerie girl, run as fast and as far as you can before Valentine finds you. Run. Run!

'Daisy is a guest here,' Isabelle began. 'A sick guest. I know you're upset about Clary, but this is not the time. You can stay with Daisy or you can leave. I don't care which as long as you're quiet and don't threaten the guests.'

The door slammed behind Jace as he left, and Isabelle crossed the room, her hair swirling behind her as she walked. 'Daisy,' she said. 'Are you feeling okay?'

'As well as I could be,' I replied. 'What happened, Isabelle?'

'We don't know,' Isabelle admitted. 'According to Magnus, you woke him up because you screamed. When he arrived, you were passed out on the floor, but in pain, apparently. And you spoke. In your sleep.'

I almost didn't want to know. 'What did I say?'

'Mother. Queen. Hurts. Shadowhunter. Flowers. Kaelie. Raphael. Lily. Magnus. Sleep. Puzzle. Pain. Tulips.' Isabelle paused. 'Death. Blood.'

'Mother... That could mean anything.' In my mind, I was ticking over possible solutions to the puzzle in my mind- analysing any ways I could glean information from the words id spoken whilst asleep. 'Queen- I dreamt about the Queen- hurts, I was in pain, obviously. Shadowhunter- that could be anything, too. Kaelie's a friend of mine, as is Lily, and Magnus. Raphael's a friend that's not even a friend-' I shut up. 'Whatever. There's nothing in those words that could give any kind of clue to what could happen.'

Isabelle frowned. 'Well... Alec wants to see you, as do some Silent Brothers.'

'Silent Brothers?'

'They want to talk to you about...' Isabelle held up a small mirror from my bedside table up to me. 'That.'

I took the mirror, feeling more and more self conscious as Isabelle stared at me with open curiousity.

Then I gasped, dropping the mirror. It landed on the floor, bits of glass going everywhere, but the image of what I'd seen was still imprinted on my eyelids.

A tattoo.

In a language that only the faeries knew- a language so old humans had forgotten it had ever existed.

Wasah yarkan, vanon iara.

Watch out, demon eyes.

And underneath that, in plain English, available for everyone to read-

You have been weighed in the balance and found wanting.

It was a reference to the Ancient Egyptians- they weighed the hearts of the dead against a feather. If the heart weighed more than the feather, you were sent to Hell.

Applied to those with demon blood, it was basically a death threat. And someone had tattooed it onto my collarbone when I was asleep?

Watch out, demon eyes.

Please comment, it really makes my day :) constructive criticism is appreciated.

Any predictions for who wants to basically kill Daisy?

No Daisy x Alec, sorry, but things happen next chapter, don't worry.

Ship names anyone?

xxx Jade