Twelve

Thanks so much for all your comments on my tag! Shoutout to KaitlinMcCaul1 , xXIDoNotCareXx Clara2508 Chill_Moon_Child and MagdalenaSt , who were the first 5 to comment! I'm going to follow all of you who commented and if you have any of the same ships as me please feel free to pm the hell out of me.

AND OMFG ANGELS GOT TO 423 ON THE FANFIC LIST! That may not seem much to some of you but holy crap I'm still freaking out. And it inspired me to make a new chapter so 😄

Song of the chapter is Halo, cover by Ane Brunn. It's in if I stay, aka the best film EVER.

I love you all! First person to comment on this gets a shoutout 😘

BABY, YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IT BUT YOU'RE LEAVING ME IN PIECES.

D A I S Y

I stood, frozen. I had nothing to say, nothing that could explain the complete shock that was tearing its way through my system.

Aurora, one Silent Brother said, gliding forwards. This may be a shock, but for us this is a great leap forwards. With this, we can find out so much more about what you are. Our suspicions, so far, seem to be correct. You seem to be three-quarters faerie, one quarter Shadowhunters. We shall not risk Runes, as there is only a small chance of it working. You would not be able to wield the angel's blades, or-

I jolted, blinking. 'What about my immortality? And my wings? I can't be quarter Shadowhunter, I can't be. I'm two hundred years old!'

If Silent Brothers had expressions, I was fairly sure the Brother would be glaring. The wings are inherited. Some half-faeries have wings, and all or most have pointed ears. It is not so unlikely that you have wings.

Another Brother continued. As for the immortality, it may not be immortality after all. Perhaps you would only have another three hundred years. Maybe after two hundred, you might even start to age naturally. Who knows? We have no evidence of others like you, quarter Shadowhunter and three quarters faerie.

'What about quarter humans?' I demanded. 'What happens to them?'

The Silent Brothers looked shifty, or at least as shifty as you can look when your lips are stitched together and you have a huge black hood like you're a freaking Dementor or something (what? Just because I'm two hundred doesn't mean I haven't read Harry Potter).

Most have died.

I couldn't tell which one said that, or maybe it was all of them. 'What? What do you mean, died?'

The faeries don't take kindly to three-quarter faeries. Rumour has it that they're exceptionally powerful. They aren't human enough to be put in the human world and ignored, and nor are they faerie enough to be in Faerie.

It seemed to me like the Silent Brothers were glossing over all the important parts of my parentage, like what exactly they meant by powerful and if any faeries knew what I was- apart from the Queen, of course. I still hadn't thought about her. She'd pretty much raised me and had taken me in, though if what my vision showed me was true, I'd arrived in Faerie earlier than I thought, and she'd kept me locked in a cupboard or something for most of my childhood, then made me forget it. Creepy or what?

Not to mention the Queen was actually my aunt. And she'd killed my mom, or at least assisted their parents in the murder.

I gritted my teeth. First things first. Killing. 'Do any of the faeries know I'm... ' I hesitated. 'What I am?'

No. Only we know, and your Shadowhunters back in New York.

That settled it. The Shadowhunters there wouldn't tell anyone, apart from maybe Jace... I shivered. No. That didn't seem like Jace's style, and besides, even if he completely hated me, it seemed a bit extreme to get rabid faeries hunting me down for being 'too powerful' or whatever. He could just as easily kill me himself.

Okay. So, short term, I was safe enough.

We recommend you stay in the City for a few days, a Silent Brother said. This could help us all. There is much to discover from your memories.

I didn't like the sound of that. 'Can't I go home?' I asked. 'I'll be back by tomorrow. Pinky swear.'

I don't think that's a good idea. One Silent Brother moved forwards.

'Well, I do,' I snapped. 'I've just realised my guardian is actually my aunt, and that she killed my mother, and that I spent my childhood locked in Faerie then made to forget it. Give me a break, please!'

The Silent Brothers looked at each other. They didn't say words to me, but I figured I knew what they were saying anyway: something along the lines of stupid bratty two hundred year old teenager.

I didn't care. As long as they let me go, I didn't care about anything. I just wanted coffee.

Fine. The Silent Brother closest to me beckoned with one pale hand. Come, child of Faerie. Follow me.

'I'm probably older than you,' I muttered, but followed him anyway.

The walk up to daylight was long and silent. I was wrapped in my thoughts, and the Silent Brother didn't seem eager to chat. Mound and slime dropped from the dark cave walls as we walked, and I glared at the floor like it was responsible for all my problems. Then I saw what looked like a rib, and I decided to stare at the Silent Brother's back instead.

Finally, we reached the surface. Good day, Aurora, the Silent Brother said. We will see you tomorrow, I trust?

I grinned. 'Can't lie, remember? Of course I'll be here.'

The Silent Brother made a sound that sounded almost like a sniff, then turned around and vanished back inside.

I sighed. Now I was alone, it felt like the quiet was stifling me. A taxi raced past, and I sighed again.

Great. I was probably going to have to wait hours and hours to find an empty taxi.

Or... I pulled my phone from my pocket. I could just call Magnus.

'Magnus?' I asked timidly. 'Hello?'

'Um, Magnus is- well, I don't know where Magnus is. I probably should have left this, shouldn't I? Um, leave a message after the beep. Beep.'

I paused. 'Alec?'

Ooh next chapter will be awesome, promise. Love you guys! ❤️

xxx Jade