Chapter 7

'Til the sky's bright with with dawn.

  It had been almost 2 weeks since my family had come over for the yard sale. In that time, I had totally redecorated the house. I had gotten a job as a secretary at the law firm in the city, and saved up to buy a crystal chandelier. It's hung proudly in the parlor, illuminating the whole lower half of the house. I hung pictures of my favorite places, on the freshly painted butter cream walls. The house finally felt like mine.
  Brahms seemed to accept the changes. If I took something down and he didn't like it, he would put it back up. But for the most part, he didn't bother the change. The only place in the house that I didn't touch was Brahm's room.
~*~
  I finished typing, transcribing, and filing, at the office. It was time for my lunch break. I got up from my desk and let the lawyers know that I was headed out. I slung my purse over my shoulder and made my way to the elevator. The door slid open to reveal Andy from accounting standing inside, wearing a slim fitted gray suit. His coppery hair was slicked back and when his predatory eyes landed on me, he formed a sly smile. I crossed my arms feeling violated, and stepped into the elevator.
  "Hello Danny."
  Everyone else at the office called me Danielle, except for him, and I didn't like it. "Hello Andy. " My voice was small, I reached out and clicked the button and I could feel his eyes looking up and down my body. I moved to step away from him but he took two steps closer to me, I stiffened as he smiled at me. "Where are you off to?" His voice was deep and smooth. "Lunch." I stated, not taking my eyes off of the elevator doors. He released a deep chuckle that made me cringe. "I'm on my break too. Mind if I join you" He came right up to me, I could smell his aftershave, I could feel his breath on my neck.
  I spun around to face him, I couldn't take one more second of his creepiness. I looked directly into his foxlike eyes and spoke "Actually I have plans." Right after, the  doors made a ding and I quickly turned and walked out of the elevator. I could feel his eyes on me the whole time.
~*~
  I clicked the lock button on my car twice and heard it beep as I walked up the steps of Brahms's old school. I was trying to figure out who Brahms was, and talking to the doll never helped. I reached for the wide wooden doors and tugged them open. A cold air and the smell of sterile books rushed past me. Memories from my own school came flooding into my brain. Why did all schools smell the same?
  My shoes squeak as I walked down the linoleum floor. I gawked at the state of the school. It looked more like a high end university than a grade school for children. I passed pictures of student classes throughout the years. I stopped at one at the far end of the hall. An engraved a little plaque read 1996. I looked at the old image and found him. Little Brahms. His mouth in the classic line. My Eyes skipped across the faces of the other children, all smiling cheerily. I quickly turned from the picture and found my way to the office.
  I slowly opened the door and entered the grand looking office. An older looking woman was ahead of me, talking to the woman at the desk. She was talking about students, she must have been a teacher. They chatted for a little bit before the lady at the desk noticed me. She turned to the older woman and said "One second Marsha." Then she turned to me and asked "can I help you?" The older woman, Marsha, stepped aside and I walked to the desk feeling embarrassed that she was going to listen to my conversation.
  "Hi" I smiled at the woman. "I just moved to the Heelshire house, and I am trying to do some research on their boy, I believe he attended school here." I said trying to sound innocent and harmless. Marsha suddenly grabbed my arm, she stared at me as if I had a hand growing out of my head. "Stop! Nothing good can come from that thing." She said in a firm tone. I looked at her defensively. "Brahms was just a boy! What's your problem with him?" I spoke as if Brahms was my own son.
  Marsha stare deeply into my eyes, I tried backing up but her grip on my arm was strong. "The Heelshire boy," she began, "children don't sharpen their pencils, only to stab their classmates!" Her eyes narrowed as she stepped closer to me. "He wasn't a child. He was a monster."
  I ripped my arm out of her grasp. Anger rose to my cheeks, my heart began to race. "How do you know anything about him!" My voice was much louder than I thought. Marsha crossed her wrinkly arms. "That little monster was in my class 21 years ago!" She spat. I clenched my fists so tight, little moons were engraved in my palms. "He's not a monster." I said through clenched teeth before storming out of the office. I couldn't take it anymore.
  Brahms was just a boy! My feet pounded down the front steps as I hurried to my car. Images of Brahms in the photos flashed in my mind. His Grim face sent chills down my spine. He killed that little girl. He liked to play scary games. He was a monster.
I stopped in front of my car before I opened the door.
No.
Brahms was a good boy.
~*~
The early-morning air chilled the house. I softly patted down the hall and opened the door to Brahms room. I walked over to the bed and brushed Brahms's hair back with my thumb. "Good morning Brahms."  I sang. I took a seat next to him on the bed and lifted him out from under the covers. " I don't have work today. So I am going to spend sometime with you." I smiled. "Let's get you dressed."
I took Brahms down stairs, made him a plate of breakfast and set him up at the table. I left him for a quick shower and came back to find his plate empty, washed, and placed in the sink. I smiled at his good manners and made myself some toast. I wandered into Brahms's home classroom and found him sitting in his desk, ready for his studies. The sight melted my heart a bit. He was so meek and willing to learn. I shoved the remaining toast down my throat and took a seat next to him. He had already chosen a book for me to read to him and had to set it on the table. I reached out and gingerly picked it up. I examined the title but it was a story I had never heard of. "I bet we could finish this one by noon, couldn't we Brahmsie?"  I said flipping the cover open. I cleared my throat and began.
~*~
After talking Brahms into bed and kissing him good night, I entered my room and took in my room redecorating. I had finally finished it yesterday and I was 100% satisfied. I had painted three walls a cream color, and the farthest wall a burnt orange red. I swapped the blue bedding for white with intricate black flowers and swirls. I smiled, proud of my hard work.
I was about to flopped onto my bed when I suddenly heard the boards above me creaked, as if someone were in the attic. I stilled, no moving. No breathing. They creaked Again in patterns that sounded like footsteps. I quickly turned and walked out into the hall. Maybe it was Brahms? I stopped at his door and slowly opened it to peak. Brahms lay peacefully in bed.
A chill ran down my spine. Who was in the attic?