Chapter 28

Ill protect you from harm

What's wrong with me?

The thought kept bubbling into my mind every time I found myself bent over the toilet. I was throwing up every day. Sometimes twice a day. I had never been sick like this before. Brahms was getting stressed. He wasn't sure how to take care of me and he didn't seem to know what was wrong either. At night he would hold me close. Arms so tense they would shake. Almost as if he were afraid I was going to disappear. And with how weak I had started to become, I was afraid too. 

Queasiness followed me into work like a dark cloud. I would have called off but the hospital bill and car repair payment had set us back a bit. I need to earn more to put us back in a good spot. It was hard to support two grown adults with my wages. My hand shook as I reached for the button on the elevator. I felt like I didn't have enough strength to press it. 

Just as the doors were about to shutter closed, I hear a "Wait! Hold that." I almost didn't move. I felt like I couldn't. Any sudden movements might cause me to teter to the grey speckled carpet below. After another moment of thought I decided I wanted to be a good person today and reached out my wobbly arm to stop the doors from closing. I heard a sigh and a thank you as woman with deep brown hair and wide glasses stepped into the small space next to me.

A weak smile painted my lips as I realized who she was. "Good morning Leah."

"Oh Danielle, Good mor..." her face fell when her framed eyes rested on me. "You don't look too good,"

"Gee thanks." I snickered in response. The elevator began to ascend. 

She shook her head with furrowed brows. "No no.. I mean you don't look like you're feeling well,"
"I'm good. Don't worry about me." I replied shaking my head, not really sure if the elevator was swaying or if it was just me. 

"Are you sure? I can cover for you if you need?" She asked, eyes studying me cautiously as if at any moment I would collapse.

I reached out to the wall to steady myself. It did sounded tempting, but I needed the money.
"Thanks but..." nausea suddenly hit me like a wave from the ocean, and I almost couldn't finish. "I'll be alright."

Leah raised a brow then shrugged in defeat. Lifting her arms with her shoulders. "Alright but let me know if you change your mind."

I pursed my lips tightly and gave a nod, too fragile to smile at the moment.

When we finally reached our floor, I walked as quickly and smoothly to my desk as possible. I needed to sit down. I breathed in a deep sigh of relief as soon as I hit the chair, but the relief didn't last long. Another wave of nausea hit, then churned and suddenly the room was super-hot. Perspiration pricked at my skin like a million tiny cool needles. Just relax Danny I told myself. I tried my best to regulate my breathing to relax my over worried mind.

Crash, churn.

I began to salivate profusely causing me to swallow hard. Oh no.

Crash, churn.

I needed to get to the bathroom before I was too late.

Crash, churn.

I didn't care I began to run. 

Crash, churn.

I made it just in time, not even bothering to close the stall door behind me, before I heave my guts out into the porcelain bowl below. After a second of emptying out my insides, I hear the door open behind me.