5. My First Apology

*Edited*

I've sat in the back of the cafeteria for lunch my entire high school life, all alone. I didn't really mind it. I was used to it by now.

So when the chair next to me scraped across the floor and a body filled it, I dropped my sandwich on the table and gawked. Warm brown eyes smiled at me as dimples surfaced on his cheeks.

"Uriah? Don't you sit over there?" I asked, gesturing at the popular table.

Ever since Elijah and Uriah moved in to town, they were immediately accepted into the popular crew. Yesterday, they both sat at the table for the popular juniors and seniors, but today only Elijah was sitting there. Bianca had her hand on his arm and looked adoringly up at him. He caught a glimpse of me looking at him and he smiled passionately down at her, then leaned forward. Their entire table held their breath as they were about to kiss. I ripped my eyes away and focused on Uriah who shrugged.

"I don't like those kind of people who think they're all that. It's kind of obnoxious, actually. And you look really cute today." He winked.

Yeah, this boy was meant to be mine. I blushed, running my hand through my hair. He noticed that I had actually made an effort today.

"But, your brother..."

"You know how he is. He's enjoying the spotlight now. I couldn't handle it."

I picked up my fallen sandwich and took a bite. Uriah grabbed a plastic fork, twirling it in his fingers. He gave a concerned look at the food on his tray. "Is this safe to eat?"

I snorted. Attractive, I know. "Hardly."

He laughed and hesitantly put a piece of pork in his mouth. Which school served pork for lunch? Hell's High did. Uriah chewed for a while until he swallowed it. He stuck his tongue out, shaking his head. I laughed at his expression and offered him a bag of chips which he gratefully accepted.

"So about tonight..." He trailed off.

Oh right! He was coming over for dinner. I'd have to rush home after detention.

"Oh, you guys can come over at around six. My mom is making her famous lasagna. You'll love it."

"Sounds good. Lasagna is Elijah's favorite meal."

Ugh, I forgot Elijah would be coming. By the look on my face, Uriah guessed what I would be thinking.

"Don't worry, I'll have a talk to him before so he doesn't do anything..."

"Stupid? Mean?" I supplied, "Want me to go on?"

Uriah laughed again. Damn. I was funny.

"I know what you mean. I honestly don't know why he treats you differently."

"Differently? He treats me like I'm a piece of garbage that he wants to rip apart and then throw out. He's infuriating."

Uriah sighed, flattening the now empty bag of chips. "I think he-"

The bell rang, signaling the end of lunch. I scooped up my half eaten lunch and dumped it in the garbage as Uriah did the same.