23. My First Time Stealing a First Time

*Edited*

I gasped when Elijah's lips covered mine and he took that as an opportunity to deepen the kiss. I didn't protest as his tongue delved into my mouth and did a dance with mine, making him growl. I wrapped my arms around his neck as the Ferris wheel met the climax of the ride.

"Elijah," I whispered against his lips.

"Mm?" He murmured impatiently.

"Are you in love with me?"

He stiffened and separated his lips from mine, scooting backwards on the seat. His eyes seemed to glow as he stared at me. I squirmed under his intense gaze and rubbed the back of my neck. Maybe I shouldn't have brought that up, but the way he just kissed me...

He narrowed his eyes and said, "No."

"Then why did you kiss me?" I asked, getting angry.

"Like my brother said to do, I'm taking care of you. He's not here to kiss you, so I'm the next best thing." He had the audacity to wink after that.

"Cut the crap. That doesn't even make any sense and you just said that you didn't bring me here because Uriah would've wanted you to. You said you did it because you wanted to."

"Yeah, I kinda got caught up in the moment. All these lights and being on a Ferris wheel," he shrugged, "it just seemed like the right thing to say at that moment, you know?"

"No, Elijah, I don't know. You know what I do know, though?" Without giving him a chance to say anything, I continued. "I know that you're an infuriating asshole. If you thought that I'd ever fall in love with you, then there must be something wrong up here," I said, pointing at my temple.

I was so pissed off that I couldn't even think anymore. How dare he kiss me because he felt like it was the right time. What kind of excuse was that anyway?

Fuming, I crossed my arms over my chest and turned away from him until the ride was over. As soon as the lap bar was lifted, I bolted off the ride and ran into the parking lot with Elijah on my heels. Once we reached his stupid car, I turned to him with my eyebrows drawn downward.

"The bet is off, by the way. We will never be in love, so it's over."

Then I got in the backseat of his car so I wouldn't have to sit next to him. He sighed angrily as he climbed inside. He twisted around and looked at me sprawled across the back seats.

"You failed."

"Failed what?" I spat.

"The test."

"Could you be any more cryptic? Spit it out already."

Elijah smirked as he said, "You wouldn't be so mad about the kiss if you hadn't actually enjoyed it."

"What the hell do you mean?" I demanded.

He shook his head and chuckled. "I wanted to see how you would react if I kissed you, claiming it literally hadn't meant anything. If you got mad about it, then it meant that you wanted the kiss to have been real because maybe you've caught feelings for me. However, if you didn't care, then I knew that you felt absolutely nothing for me."

He thought that by saying that, I would forgive him. Well, he had another thing coming.

"You're a jerk and I hate you. Your kiss was only a test anyway. Don't play with other's feelings like that," I growled.

"So you admit it? That you have feelings for me?"

I sat straight up and grabbed the collar of his shirt, dragging his face right up to mine. His eyes widened as I brought my lips to his.