As I Lay Dying

Audrey was curled up in bed crying when Elena walked in. She'd been  like this all day since she came back from the Salvatore's house. Elena  assumed it was because she was still mourning Jenna's death. Gently, she  sat at the foot of her sister's bed and rubbed her leg in comfort.

        "I miss her too," Elena whispered. Audrey wanted to tell her the real  reasoning for her crying but she promised Damon she wouldn't. So she  just nodded and slowly sat up in bed. "Come on, let's go watch Gone With  the Wind in town. It will take our mind off everything,"

        "Okay," Audrey whispered. Elena smiled at her younger sister and reached  over to hug her tight. She couldn't imagine losing Jeremy or Audrey.  Once she got up and left Audrey fixed her make up and went downstairs to  meet her siblings. She hugged Jeremy once she saw him. He sighed but  hugged his sister back. Though he wouldn't admit it, he needed this more  than she did. They were all walking through town square with solemn  faces when Jeremy finally spoke up.

       " You brought me to see a girl movie," He pointed out.

         "We had to get out of the house, Jer. This is our three-hour  distraction from reality," Elena explained. Audrey smiled at her older  sister and placed a hand on her back.

       "Is that what we're  doing? Pretending like our lives aren't screwed?" Jeremy asked  sarcastically. Audrey simply rolled her eyes at her younger brother.

        "We need to do this, okay? Breathe, eat, sleep, wake up, and do it all  over again until one day, it's just not as hard anymore" She said  pulling out the blanket they brought with them. She unfolded it and set  it on the ground for them to sit. Once they got settled a bubbling  blonde walked over to them with two picnic baskets. Audrey smiled widely  at her best friend.

       "Hey Aud," She whispered.

        "Hi Care," Audrey answered back with a smile. After she let her go,  Caroline then moved to Elena. Once everyone got a proper hug they all  sat on the blanket.

       "Are we really doing this?" Jeremy asked.

        "Yes, we're really doing this. We are going to take a page from  Scarlett. We made it through the war," Caroline answered. "I know you  guys went through hell, and my mom knows I am a vampire, so basically  it's like Atlanta has burned. And yet, in spite of everything, we  persevere,"

       "All right," Jeremy mumbled. "What are we eating?"

        "Something good," Audrey laughed at her best friend's response and  looked up at the screen. She couldn't focus on the movie though. Not  when her other best friend was slowly dying and she couldn't do anything  to stop it. She hadn't noticed she was spacing out until Caroline  nudged her. "What?"

       "I asked if you were alright,"  Caroline asked worriedly. Audrey nodded but frowned. A weird feeling  began to settle in her gut and usually that meant something bad was  going to happen.

       "Yeah I am, but I have a bad feeling  about tonight. Maybe I'm just a little freaked out from all that's  happened lately," She explained to her blonde best friend.

        "I understand. I mean life's been crazy for everyone lately. At least  now it can be a little peaceful for a while," Audrey nodded and looked  up at the screen. Stefan suddenly arrived and pulled Elena away, but not  before sharing a concerned look with her sister. The younger Gilbert  sister watched the duo walk away until they were out of sight. It wasn't  even a half hour later when Audrey's phone began to ring like crazy.  She looked down at it to see Alaric calling.