In My Veins

Happy Holidays to everyone and thank you for reading!

Audrey was a mess. She was silently torturing herself as she walked along side the three Mikaelson brothers. Elijah noticed something off about the human girl and lightly grabbed her hand. "I know you're worried, but we'll take care of everything and as for your friends," Elijah paused shooting Audrey a small smile. "If they're really your friends they'll understand," Audrey smiled up at Elijah and squeezed his hand before dropping it. Klaus glared at his brother but said nothing. Finally they all reached the witch house. Esther was standing in the middle of a pentagram with her eldest son, Finn.

"My sons. Come forward," She announced as the Mikaelson brothers approached.

"Stay beside me, mother," Finn said protectively.

"It's okay, they can't enter," Esther assured. Kol walked over to the pentagram but the torches around it began to flare and he was thrown back.

"That's lovely. We're stuck out here, while the favorite son plays sacrificial lamb. How pathetic you are, Finn," Kol growled at his older brother.

"Be quiet, Kol. Your brother knows virtue you cannot even imagine," Esther spat.

"Whatever you think of us, killing your own children will be an atrocity," Elijah said menacingly.

"My only regret is that I did not let you die a thousand years ago," Esther replied calmly.

"What about Audrey? She's linked to Niklaus, remember? You'd be killing an innocent, mother," Elijah tried to reason. "She has done nothing wrong here!"

"Elijah, always the gallant one. Audrey will die with Niklaus but it is only collateral damage. Nature will understand," Esther said sure of herself.

"Enough," Klaus growled furiously. "All this talk is boring me. End this now, mother, or I'll send you back to hell," Esther shook her head at her son.

"For a thousand years, I've been forced to watch you. Felt the pain of every victim, suffered while you shed blood. Even you, Elijah, with your claim to nobility, you're no better. All of you. You're a curse on this Earth. Stretched out over generations. If you've come to plead for your life, I'm sorry, you've wasted your time," Esther explained. No one said anything after Esther's explanation, but something kept bothering Audrey the more she thought about it.

"Why did you make me Klaus's soulmate if you planned to kill him all along?" Audrey asked courageously.

"Niklaus was meant to meet you before he knew about Elena, which he did, but he took your memories of him away. After he made his appearance and motives known to your friends, they made sure to keep you away from him. I made you his soulmate so he wouldn't kill Elena and break the curse. My son is capable of horrible things but he wouldn't hurt his soulmate or anyone she loves. I made sure of that," Esther answered. "If he hadn't taken your memories away the bond would've began much sooner and the curse I put on him never would've been broken,"

"You think some pathetic human girl would stop Nik from accomplishing the one thing he's wanted for so long?" Kol asked his mother humorously.

"You'd be surprise what love can do to someone, Kol. You of all people should know this," Esther sneered back. Audrey glanced at the youngest brother and saw his smug expression change to an angry one. Audrey moved closer to Klaus for comfort. He wrapped an arm around her and pulled her close to him. Everyone waited for Esther to complete the spell, but suddenly she tensed up.