Chapter 10- The Valley of the Shadow of Death

...

For the first time in my life, I truly feel powerless.

It had been many hours since the start of the battle between Will and the horde of guardians.

This horde was much smaller in number than the previous one. There were only ten thousand at most in this one, were as the previous horde had hundreds of thousands, if not more.

Unfortunately, it seems the difficulty was inversely proportional to the size. This small horde was far more difficult than the previous one. Not just because these wolves were stronger, but more importantly, because they were far more intelligent.

When they attacked, they did so with order and near perfect teamwork. Unlike their predecessors, these enemies knew how to use their numbers, and their abilities well.

They always attacked in groups of threes. One would attack with a barrage of wind blades; each one compact, powerful and well placed, then another guardian would attack from the opposite side with its claws. The third guardian would crouch carefully on the side, waiting for a mistake from Will, so it can attack.

The barrage of wind blades would be met by a large wall of compressed water, made by Will. He had finally taken advantage of his Water Meister class. Due to his increased level, he could more finely control the water at a molecular level, even doing something as incredible as increasing the surface tension of the water, to help it withstand the barrage of wind blades.

Even if the wind blades got through the surface, they would have to travel through many meters of compressed water to get to Will. This was also not ordinary water, it was water reinforced by Will's yuan, this made it far more dense and resilient, not to mention that the currents inside the wall were very chaotic, to further dissipate any wind blades.

Although Will could compress the water, he still couldn't manipulate its state or rather he hadn't had the time to see whether or not he could.

At first due to his bloodlust, Will didn't have a hard time dealing with these wolves; he managed to kill a few hundred. The wind blades had little effect on his bloodlust, and the other two wolves would be suppressed by the aura from the bloodlust, making them easy kills.

After some time the fatigue from using bloodlust started to show itself. It used up far more yuan than Will could create or gain from killing the guardians. Will could no longer maintain it for long periods of time, so he decided to use it in short bursts. This plan was good at first, but it also had its drawbacks.

Will didn't truly understand what bloodlust was, he only had a basic understanding of what it could do. This lack of knowledge is what led him to another crisis.

Every time bloodlust is activated, it does some damage to Wills body. The yuan Will uses up from using bloodlust isn't from activation, but rather to reduce the damage caused by the activation of bloodlust. Will didn't really know what bloodlust is powered by, but he started realizing that his body was far too weak to handle it.

It was like a car fitted with a jet engine. Will's intuition told him that his body was far too weak to use and control this ability. In the end, after knowing all of this, he still had no choice but to use it.

After the first few hundred kills Will had to start economizing his use of bloodlust on his body. The guardians sensed this, and in turn increased the intensity of their attacks. Will was only able to survive this, due to the fact that he had leveled up from his previous kills.

Although Will couldn't tell his level, he was now able to resist the aura that these beasts gave off. He knew that he was nearing level 20. His mind only had 16 parts so he definitely had not reached level 20.