Two

Light couldn't wait until he got to work on the case. He was ecstatic and made sure he studied as hard as he could. Finally, the weekend came around and Soichiro decided that Light could come with him to work then if he wanted.

Light, of course, agreed. So the two set off to Soichiro's workplace, the NPA.

As the two walked in, they were greeted by other police members.

"Hello, Director, hello Light," one member, by the name of Touta Matsuda, had approached them, smiling.

"Hello, Matsuda," the chief greeted back, walking off. Light followed, waving at Matsuda.

"So, Dad, what are we doing today?" Light asked, looking around.

"Well, mostly, all we can do is monitor how many criminals Kira–"

The director's laptop began making a notification noise, indicating someone was trying to reach him.

"It's L," Soichiro muttered, causing a few heads to glance in his direction. Those members, Matsuda, Ide, Mogi, and Aiwaza, as well as some others, walked over. "Light, this is important. I know I said you can work on the case today, but I think you should go home or go out for a bit and I'll call you and let you know when to come back."

Light sighed, but obliged as he grabbed his coat and left. After about an hour of pointless walking and no call yet, he walked to a place to get some lunch, and sat down to eat when abruptly, the TV began blaring.

"Attention, we have launched an improtant worldwide broadcast," the announcer said, and suddenly, someone turned up the volume. Now on the screen was a man by the name of Lind L. Tailor.

The man started ranting about Kira, claiming to be someone by the name of L, and Light just watched quietly. The man claimed that Kira was evil and other things. Suddenly, the man, Lind L. Tailor, appeared to be having a heart attack. Everyone in the whole room gasped.

Light knew it was Kira. Just then, the screen went to a white screen with a capital 'L' in 'Cloister Black' font. 'What the hell?' Light thought, watching the screen with an odd look.

"So, you can kill without even being in the room?" Someone on TV had asked, although it was more of a question than a statement. Light drifted into his thoughts for a moment. 'Kira can kill… without being in the room? Fuck.'

"We've got you, Kira," the person on TV said. "That man, Lind L. Tailor, was a decoy. He was a criminal that was going to be executed today. He was not the real L. I am."

There was another round of gasps and then some chatter among the little cafe.

"His information was never released to the public, so you couldn't have killed him until now." Light tilted his head.

"Go on, Kira, kill me," L challenged in a taunting manner. "Do it! I dare you to try! Come on, kill me! Kill me, Kira!"

Light's eyes widened.

"Also, Kira, this was not really a worldwide broadcast. This was only being broadcasted in the Kanto region of Japan as a ploy to discover your location. I know where you are now. It's also no longer necessary to broadcast this anywhere else."

There was a bit of chatter in the cafe.

"I am the the world's greatest detective, Kira," L stated, causing a bit more chatter amongst the cafe. "I will catch you."

Light thought about this for a moment. So when his father said "it's L", he was talking about… the world's greatest detective…?

Suddenly, he program was shut down and there was more chatter. Light just sat there, a bit confused.

"L, what was that?" Chief Yagami questioned about the fake worldwide broadcast they'd set up as he looked at the computer. "Kira could've killed you!" The others beside him all began talking, before L spoke up from the computer.

"He couldn't kill me, because he doesn't know my name or face," L stated, and the others just all looked at each other. "I am pretty sure Kira needs a name to kill. He doesn't know my real name."

The chief thought about this for a moment, considering it. "Okay, so he needs a name, but how does he do it?"

"I haven't quite figured that out yet," L said. "But we will. I am in Japan now, investigating."

"But how do we know that?" Matsuda voiced, crossing his arms. "For all we know, you're no detective. We haven't even met you in person. How can we trust you?"

"I've already taken this into consideration, and have decided that we should meet."

"But for all we really know, we'd be meeting a fake L," Chief Yagami sighed.

"That is true," L said. "You are smart. But I cannot help you catch Kira if you don't put a little trust and a bit of faith in me."

"Alright," the chief uttered. "We are listening. What is your plan?"

"I am staying at a hotel fairly close to where you are now," L stated, causing everyone else to gasp. "So tomorrow night after 8pm, I want you to come to this hotel I'll give you the name of. When you come, come in pairs, but only one pair comes up, and then wait ten minutes before you send the next pair up, and so on. Watari will let you in when you all arrive."

The chief looked around at the others and the others looked back at him. Chief Yagami looked back at the computer. "Okay, see you then."

Btw, I know Ide and Mogi are in it later but this is an AU remember mkay

MKAY

Sorry if it sucks goodbye xD