Thirty (Epilogue)

It had been a week since they'd taken care of Kira. Hiding what had actually transpired seemed to be way easier than Light had expected it would've been. L, Watari, Mello, Near and Matt handled everything and made sure that nobody was explicitly mentioned and that all of the Death Notes were locked away. All anyone else knew was that Kira was gone for good.

A lot of people didn't seem to be happy that Kira was gone, but there were still some that were celebrating.

The task force headquarters started looking emptier now that less people had been around- Mello, Matt and Near all went back to the United States, and everyone else was home with their families and such, finally relaxing, with the exception of Matsuda, however, who was in the hospital waiting to recover enough to travel with Misa out of the country.

Misa had thanked everyone for stopping Kira, and part of that was enough to help Light feel just a little better about what he'd done. He'd hugged her goodbye then, knowing that after that he'd probably not see her for a very long time, if ever again.

In any case, L, Light and Watari remained at HQ in the meantime. Light was dreading what was to come soon.

L was probably going to leave Japan.

They hadn't spoken about it yet and Light was avoiding the conversation. Every time L would bring it up, Light would kiss him breathless and often initiate sex depending on where they were at the time and what they were doing, and after sex they usually would just fall asleep.

But not this time. No, this time the sex hadn't even finished before L finally brought it up again.

L stilled himself above Light, his creamy white thighs trembling from the exertion of holding himself up, no longer screwing himself on his lover's erection. His fingers held tightly onto Light's shoulders, enough to bruise.

"We need to talk, Light-kun," he said, and Light just blinked up at him.

"Can't it wait until we're not, uh..." Light gestured between their nude bodies, gestured to where they're physically connected and joined at the moment. "...you know."

"You have been avoiding this conversation," L observed, making himself stay completely still. "You always distract me whenever I try to bring it up, but I'm not going to let you do that again. I'm going to assume that you know what I'm talking about."

"I don't," Light lied, fingers digging into L's bony hips.

"You do," L said simply with a sigh, not in the mood for this. "I want to tell you what my plans are."

Light thrusted sharply upwards, going so much deeper into L's body in a desperate attempt to get him to stop talking about this. He didn't want to hear L say that he was leaving him. He couldn't handle it.

L moaned deeply but pressed hard against Light, pinning his hips beneath him so that he couldn't snap them up and thrust into him. They were going to talk about this. Now.

"L, please-" Light all but whined, feeling as pathetic as he knew he sounded. "Don't."

L kissed him hard on the mouth. "I'm leaving Japan, Light-kun," he whispered against his lover's lips.

Light pulled away. "I knew it," he murmured sadly, turning his face. L ran his fingers through Light's hair, turned him back towards himself to kiss him again.

"But," L continued as he pulled away with a small smile, "I want you to come with me."

Light was taken aback. "What?" he said, unsure if he heard that right. But he did, he knew he did.

"Come with me when I go," L told him. "Help me solve more cases. Follow me around the world and be with me."

Smiling widely, Light nodded and held L close against him in a hug. "Yes," he replied, pressing a kiss to L's pale shoulder, "Of course. Always. I love you."

L grinned against Light's skin, hugging back. "I love you, too."

-

Light looked out of the window.

He was sitting on a private plane that belonged to L. The aforementioned detective sat across from him, smiling almost impishly. They were leaving Japan today, heading to England for a while so that L could take a break and then decide on a new case to take.

"I still can't believe it's all over," Light breathed, turning to look at his boyfriend now. "It's been such a long time. So much has happened. It almost doesn't feel real, like maybe I'm dreaming. What if this isn't actually happening?"

L leaned forward and kissed him softly. "Hm, well if it's a dream, then it's one we share," he uttered, "And it's good. And in that case, I hope we don't ever wake up."

Light chuckled. "I'm just... glad it's all behind us now, you know? I'm glad we're okay."

"I'm glad we're okay too, Light-kun." L smiled again, perching in his seat like usual. "Right now, I think that... I'm happy. I'm probably the happiest I have ever been in my whole life."

"Good," Light murmured, taking L's hand in his own and intertwining their fingers, "Because I'm happy, too, L."

-

THE END.

;

a big thank you to everyone who stuck with this for the past, what, 4 years? been writing this since 2016 and i know i'd slacked off on writing it, but i want to say thank you to everyone for being so, so patient with me and this shitty ass story. i love you. so much. thank you all for all of the love you've given this and given me. i don't deserve it. )): <3

i'm a little sad it's over but at the same time i feel... kinda relieved? because now i don't have to worry about disappointing anybody for not updating, you know?

anyway, i probably won't write another death note fic but who knows what the future may bring? (;

and so... yeah. this is it. bye everyone!