Eight

"I think I'm going to head home," Aizawa uttered, standing up. "I want to see my child and wife before they go to sleep, and it's pretty late right now. Also, I'm pretty tired. Is this okay, Ryuzaki?"

"Yes, it is fine," L replied, biting his thumb and keeping his eyes on the screen in front of him. "Get some rest, Aizawa-san. The rest of you men might as well go home and sleep also, for it's 23:46. I want you back here by eight am at the latest. Goodnight."

The task force members filed out of the building without a word, leaving L and Light to work alone.

"So, it's just us working now?" Light asked, looking at the black-haired man beside him. L nodded, eyes flicking to the teenager before going back to the monitor in front of him.

He looked over at the laptop beside him and pressed and held down a button on it.

"Watari," he uttered.

"Yes?" Watari's voice was heard from the laptop.

"Would you be kind enough as to bring me a slice of cake, please?"

"Yes, of course."

L looked over to Light. "Would Light-kun like something to eat?" He asked the teenager. Light nodded.

L pushed the button again. "Watari, please bring something for Light to eat as well."

"Very well."

A few minutes later, Watari came back up with a slice of cake for L and a bowl of noodle soup for Light.

"Thank you, Watari," Light said with a small smile as he took the bowl from the older gentleman.

"Yes, thank you, Watari," L uttered, looking up at the man and smiling softly. Watari just smiled at the two and nodded before leaving.

"So, if you don't mind me asking, what is it with you and Watari?" Light asked, setting his soup down to let it cool down. "I mean, it just seems like you two are close…"

L bit his thumb, pondering whether or not to tell his number one Kira suspect about his past. He figured it wouldn't hurt if he told the teenager in the future, but he wouldn't say anything now, just in case.

"Perhaps I'll tell Light-kun in the future," L said, glancing at Light. "I'm sorry, Light-kun, but you are still my number one suspect, and I don't want to say too much now."

Light sighed. "I figured you'd say that, but it's fine."

L gazed at Light for a moment, just thinking.

'Are you Kira, Light Yagami? Or are you innocent? Am I being deceived by a killer or are you truly just an innocent boy…?'

Light felt L's eyes on him and he looked over, meeting the detective's stare.

'What are you thinking, L…? You still thinking I'm Kira? Well, I mean, of course you do. There's no other reason why you'd handcuff us together… But what are you thinking right now…? Why are you staring at me?'

'You are difficult for me to completely figure out, Yagami Light… or Kira. You are an intelligent, handsome young man. You are very popular and have women dropping at your feet, so to speak. You want to be a detective like your father. These things are easy. But these are the tricky things: are you Kira? If you really are, how do you kill? What is your purpose for killing criminals? Is it to reduce the amount of crime or for a different reason altogether? How could you take lives so easily? Why are you playing god…? Perhaps I shouldn't think about this too much. But I feel like you're Kira… I just need confirmation and the right evidence…'

'There's something about you, L. You're just mysterious… You're the best detective in the world, but you're odd… in the best way, though. You're so beautiful and it's like you don't even try to be. I can't help but to steal glances at you when you're not paying any attention to me. You are just so pretty and I can't help it… I wonder if you notice…'

'Are you a killer, Light-kun?'

'Do you notice, L?'

L broke the eye contact by looking back at his monitor and biting his thumb like they hadn't been staring at each other for roughly five minutes or so. Light blushed and looked away as well, sighing a bit as he began to eat his now warm soup.

Apparently I wrote 4019 words so have this short little chapter and I'll publish the rest