Sixteen

Light rode in the car with his father to the Task Force headquarters, staring tiredly out of the window and looking at the autumn leaves on the ground, the cold morning sunlight that was peaking out between the trees falling on him every now and then.

He didn't get much sleep the night before. His thoughts kept him awake. A little bit of questions, like, 'Why did Ryuzaki kiss me?' and, 'What if we went further?' and, 'Why won't he believe I'm not Kira?' And then some other thoughts, such as, 'I wish I could be with him,' and, 'I miss him,' and, 'I wish I could kiss him again,' and lastly, 'I love him.'

He finally fell asleep around three AM, but he supposed he wouldn't have been able to sleep until then anyways, despite his thoughts, due to the fact that he never got to sleep until that time because of L and the Kira case. He never minded then, though, because it was L keeping him awake, and not his stupid two AM thoughts, which all revolved around L anyway.

Part of him wasn't looking forward to seeing the eccentric man that he loved, still being upset, and thinking he should give up because of L's suspicion of him, and L's occupation, but the other part was looking forward to it, because he loved L, and L made him happy.

It reminded the teenager of smoking. It was like wanting to see L and wanting to be around him, and wanting to kiss and touch and love him, was the craving of a cigarette that accompanied the addiction of smoking, like Light had for him, and it was like part of him was trying to quit smoking, but another, bigger part of him wouldn't quit because it was too hard, he liked the taste and he loved the feeling when the craving was satisfied, because he felt better and was satisfied, even though it's just a short satisfaction, and it's not worth it because cigarettes just slowly kill you. And Light knew life was too short, but L was his happiness, his addiction, and even though L wasn't killing him, he was putting himself at risk of being killed because of being around the detective, who was working on the biggest, toughest, riskiest, life-threatening case Light ever knew of, and part of him knew he should give that up, and walk away from it, but the other part couldn't, because he loved L, and was willing to take the risk of sacrificing his own life to have him.

All because he loved him.

Light supposed people would think he was being stupid, but he didn't really care.

And despite the fact that Light had kissed L back, he never told L how he felt about him, although he figured it was now obvious, but he knew how L was with others' emotions sometimes. Light really wanted to tell L how he felt, and he wanted L to love him back, even though he knew L couldn't.

Light sighed out, and his father glanced at him.

"Are you okay, son?" Soichiro asked softly. "Ever since you came home so late last night, I've been worried. Did something happen with Ryuzaki?"

"Don't worry, Dad," Light murmured, gaze still fixed out of the window. "I'm okay. We just had a little problem and I went home because he let me go."

Soichiro nodded and pulled the car into the small area so they could go inside. They noticed Aizawa's car was right behind theirs now, and they hurried to get inside.

When Light and his father reached the right room, they noticed Matsuda, looking rather upset, sitting down beside Ide and Mogi. Watari stood by the corner of the room with a cart of breakfast for everyone.

Light immediately noticed L's absence. "Where's L?" He asked as he shrugged off his coat, trying to sound interested rather than worried, even though he was mildly panicking on the inside.

Matsuda quickly stood up. "He– he's gone!" He said, sounding very distraught.

Aizawa and Soichiro exclaimed, "What?!" at the same time. Light just swallowed the lump in his throat and paled, eyes widening.

"W- What do you mean, he's gone?!" Light asked, panicking a bit.

"He just disappeared!"

Light felt fear wash over him. 'He couldn't have just disappeared…!' He quickly sat down and put his face in his hands. "No…" He muttered, sighing and trying not to flip the fuck out. Suddenly, he remembered the surveillance cameras in the room. "Wait, the cameras! Did anyone check them?"

"No, sir, not yet," Watari replied. Light looked over to him and nodded.

He then remembered that he and L had kissed while the surveillance cameras were on. He blushed and look at his feet. "Matsuda and I can go check them," Light suggested. He knew he couldn't go alone and knew Matsuda wouldn't say anything about them kissing if Light asked him not to.

"Alright, let us know if you figure it out," Soichiro said and sat down with a sigh, going over some things. Light nodded and he and Matsuda went to check the cameras.

"Matsuda?" Light murmured as they reached the room.

"Yeah, Light?" Matsuda replied, looking at Light.

"I just want to tell you that… L and I… we had, uhm… kissed… last night. And… well, I was wondering if we could just keep that a secret between us."

Light's face was a deep scarlet and Matsuda's eyes widened, blushing lightly as well. "O- Oh… Yeah, of course, Light…"

"Thank you…" Light murmured, looking at his feet.

Matsuda nodded and they went into the room to check the surveillance.

They watched everything on the tape from the time L and Light entered their room, including the part where they kissed and Light hid a blush. After Light had left the room on the tape, Matsuda paused it and said, "For the record, Light, I didn't ever think you were capable of being Kira to begin with."

Light smiled and then resumed the tape. Realizing L went to sleep in the recording, Light began to fast forward the tape until he saw the door to the room open and L sit up.

"Light-kun…?" The teenager heard L murmur faintly, and saw him rub his eyes.

Light's lips parted as he saw the figure slip into the room and up to L carefully, quickly, and quietly.

Light watched with anger building up inside of him as the intruder grabbed L by his throat, and then Matsuda gasped from beside him. He heard L gasp for breath and try to kick his attacker, but failed. He saw L continue to struggle until he eventually stopped moving. Light swallowed another lump in his throat.

He saw the intruder tie L's wrists and then pick L up and flee the room. He wondered how the intruder got in – they must've somehow gotten passed the security, or disabled it somehow – and then paused the tape.

Light turned to Matsuda. "L was kidnapped…" He whispered, and then the two left the small room to tell the others.

Aha, see you next time I update c: