Twenty Five

Only a few days went by. No one had quite gotten used to L being back yet since he'd been gone for so long after BB kidnapped him, but slowly things seemed to be going back to normal.

But what was considered normal anyway?

And what about Kira?

L saw him. He looked just like Light. There must've been some way he could find out what Kira's real name was, and Near, Matt and Mello insisted on staying until they caught Kira, so they had extra help.

And Light noticed that Misa hadn't been around in a while and suddenly he found himself wondering if something happened to her.

He had yet to break up with her for starters, and also he wondered if she knew something about Kira, judging by their last conversation.

He knew she had something to tell him.

What was it…?

Light gave out a sigh, staring at the computer in the dark, L by his side. The others had gone to bed and, as usual, they were the only ones still awake.

Light looked over at L. "Ryuzaki?"

L hummed in response, "What is it, Light-kun?"

"Did you want to head to bed?"

L thought about it and then nodded. "Alright."

They shut off the computers and went up to their shared bedroom, changing and then getting into bed. Light kissed the detective, sliding between his legs and pressing them close together.

"I love you," Light mumbled into the kiss, not giving L any time to respond as he deepened it.

Misa sat in her dimmed room, writing everything she needed down. She couldn't let this go on for much longer, or things would get even more out of hand. There was only a small amount of time before Kira would find out L was alive, and Misa would be done for. She had to do this now. There was no other choice.

Firstly, she had to tell them about the Death Note. After she was done with all of this, there would still be that mystery of Kira, and how he killed people. There would be worry that a new Kira would arise after the current ones were gone. The police wouldn't have to worry much if they could just lock away the Death Note.

Misa had it figured out. She knew what she had to do.

She'd do it as soon as possible.

She was going to betray Kira.

Rem watched her write, but didn't read the words on the page of the Death Note, or on the other piece of paper Misa had. The shinigami wondered what Misa planned to do, but she did not ask her. She did not want to know right now.

When Misa was done, she closed the notebook and relaxed in her chair, looking tired. Rem wondered what was on her mind.

She did not want anything bad to happen to Misa. She – dare she think it – loved her, and deeply cared about her. She'd do anything for her.

Misa looked at Rem, giving the shinigami a small smile, reaching for her hand.

The following day, Misa calmly walked to the task force HQ, Death Note in her purse and Rem by her side.

"Misa, what are you planning?" Rem finally decided to ask, although she feared the answer.

"Don't worry, Rem," Misa told the shinigami, smiling, but her smile was fake. "I know what I'm doing."