Twenty Seven

A full hour later, Misa sat bound to a wooden chair, her eyelashes fluttering as she begun to wake. She lifted her head to find Light watching her and then a glass of water was being pressed against her lips. She took a long sip, watching Light watch her do so.

"Light, why am I here?" She asked softly - almost inaudibly - once the glass was taken away. She flexed her fingers and tried to move, only to realize she was bound with tight ropes. "Why am I tied up? Why am I even alive?"

"L had us bring you back with the eraser," Light replied, "And you're tied up because they wanted to be safe. I'm sorry."

"Why? Why bring me back? I- I killed myself because Kira was going to kill me, and if he didn't, I'd be arrested anyway... If Kira finds out I'm alive, he'll..."

"Kira thinks you're dead now - your suicide was on the news. He had to have seen it."

"What do you want from me? Do you want me to use the book and kill Kira for you? Is that it?"

"If only," Light sighed. Misa looked at him, confusion etched onto her face, so Light tried to explain. "L is against using the book. He's convinced we can take Kira down without it. No, all L wants from you is the locations of Kira's hideouts."

"That's it? What are you gonna do, go to every one until you find him and then arrest him? He'll just use Birthday's shinigami eyes to find out some of your names and kill you as soon as he sees your faces! He already knows your face, Light. You're in danger."

"Misa, why did Kira try to frame me anyway?" Light asked, eyes searching hers. She sighed out, relaxing back into the uncomfortable chair a bit.

"He found out that you existed and looked just like him a long while ago," she started, chewing her lip. "He stalked you for weeks, months, and grew jealous of your perfect life. He wanted it for himself, but didn't know how to take it from you. When he found the Death Note, he no longer wanted your life when he could have the whole world to himself. He started killing off wanted and known criminals and then lesser criminals and petty thieves and burglars and what not and eventually moved on to even rotten people who hadn't even committed crimes, yet he still felt empty knowing how good you were, and the fact that you existed being so good compared to him bugged him to no end. He was okay with making people believe that you were the rotten one all along. It made him feel better about his own sad life, I think."

"So he wanted my life, wanted to be me but because he couldn't get what he wanted, he decided to make me take the fall for his crimes? That's not fair..."

"Life isn't fair, Light-kun," L chimes in as he makes his way over to the two. "Now, Miss Amane, would you mind giving us the locations?"

"We talked to the shinigami, Rem, and learned more about the Death Note," Light added, "And after we catch Kira, you can relinquish ownership of the book, lose all your memories of it and then leave the country and start a new life where no one knows you and no one thinks you're dead. Maybe you could go back to America with Mello and Near?"

"Really?" Misa questioned, hope in her eyes for the first time in a long time. "I can live out the rest of my life?"

L gave a small smile. "I'll ensure it happens."

Tears spilled from Misa's eyes. "Thank you," she cried softly.

Light turned to L. "Thank you," he mouthed, taking L's hand in his own. L replied with a nod.

Matsuda walked in right about then, so L and Light left to give him and Misa some privacy.

"Misa-Misa?" Matsuda whispered, sitting down in front of her.

"Oh, Matsu," she said, unable to wipe the tears away with her wrists bound still. "You probably hate me, huh?"

Matsuda wiped the tears away for her. "I don't hate you, Misa-Misa. I'm just a little disappointed. Why were you working with Kira?"

"He gave me justice - killed the man who murdered my parents, tried to murder me. I felt like I owed him everything, my whole life. So I did what I could to help him. I regret that now."

"Misa-Misa... I'm sorry..."

"No, Matsu, I'm sorry. Soon though, I'll forget about Kira and the notebooks and leave Japan for good - start over."

"You're leaving?" Matsuda questioned, a bit sad.

"Yeah, everyone here thinks I'm dead because I was so famous. I have no choice now; live and go somewhere else, be forgotten here, or die once again and be forgotten anyway."

"Oh, I see." He let out a sigh and scratched the back of his head.

"Matsu, when I go..." Misa murmured, averting her sparkling eyes, "Would you go with me?"

"M- Misa..." Matsuda blushed a bright red, lips parted.

"You don't have to, of course, and I'll still love you regardless."

"I- I... You... Um..."

"That's okay," Misa smiled, though it didn't quite reach her eyes. "I um... I understand..."

And then Matsuda kissed her, surprising her for sure. When he finally pulled back, she let her eyes flutter open to find him smiling.

"I want to go with you, Misa-Misa," he said, caressing her cheek. "I'll go anywhere, as long as I'm with you."

"Oh, Matsu...!"

Light and L waited outside the door, technically eavesdropping, but neither of them cared. "So Matsuda is going to leave too then?"

"I suppose so, Light-kun," L said absentmindedly.

"And after we catch Kira... where will you go?"

L looked at him. "Let's not worry over that now. Once Misa gives up the locations and Kira is finally gone, we will talk about it."

"Alright."

-

Kinda short and not very good but at least I updated !!!!