Eighteen

The next day, Light went back to headquarters after receiving a call from Matsuda saying that L's 'stand-in' was there and that Light should get there as soon as possible.

Light thanked Misa for comforting him and kissed her gently on the cheek, and she smiled at him lightly before he left.

Light walked into headquarters. "So, where is he?"

One chair spun around, revealing an albino-like teenager with blackish-gray eyes like L's. He was clad in a white pajama top and light blue pajama bottoms and white socks. He also twirled his hair and appeared to be playing with toys, despite his age.

"Light, this is N, or Near, L's successor," Watari said, smiling a bit.

'Successor?' Light asked mentally.

"N?" Light questioned, eyebrows furrowed.

"Or Near," the albino uttered with a small smile that made Light feel uneasy.

Light just nodded and looked off.

"So you're Light Yagami, huh?"

"Yes," the older teenager replied.

"Hm." Near turned his chair around and continued to play with his toys.

'So, they told me that Light Yagami was previously suspected as being Kira by L because evidence seemed to point to him… L must've had a good reason to suspect him so I think I'll keep my eye on him…'

Light sighed and sat down. "So, have you found out anything about L yet?"

"No," his father replied, sighing and pinching the bridge of his nose. "Nothing at all, but there's someone looking for him–"

"There are two people actually," Near corrected, putting together a puzzle now. "Mello and Matt. They are searching everywhere, so don't worry. We'll find L."

"I hope," Light murmured, resting his head on his hand.

The day went by slowly, as all they really did was look for L. According to Matsuda, Kira hadn't killed since the night before.

That night, Light went home. The others stayed and insisted they would work all night, – but in reality, they'd work for a few more hours before they'd eventually fall asleep on the couch or something – but Light just wanted to get away from them all, so he did.

He ended up hurting himself again that night. It wasn't intentional; he was just washing dishes he used at dinner while his mother and sister were out (thinking he and his father weren't coming home, they went out for dinner) and he stumbled upon a knife, and…

He used some bandages to stop the bleeding and hid in his room for the rest of the night.

When he got to headquarters, he'd heard that Kira had killed again the night before. Thirty criminals.

For the next week, things were about the same. Light would go to headquarters, find out that Kira had killed the night before, they'd look and find nothing about L, Light would go home early, he'd hurt himself if he thought about it, then he'd go to sleep and then things would repeat.

Near was starting to get on his nerves; he wasn't much help in Light's opinion. But Light had kept putting up with him. Until they could find L, he would have to.

Light sighed as another day came around that he was sitting there, wanting to find L. He wished he could go out and do it himself, but Near wouldn't allow it.

So Light just hoped with all his heart that those Mello and Matt guys would find L and bring him back, safe.

L sat in the chair he was tied to, thinking. BB had already went to bed for the night and L had some time to himself. He wondered how long he'd been stuck here. He figured about seven to eight days, perhaps. He wasn't sure exactly, but that was what he counted.

Boy, was he ready to get out of this place. He missed being able to sit in his usual way. He missed all the sugar he usually consumed – BB gave him only a little sugar each day – and was actually having withdrawal symptoms.

He sighed out and tried to rest, even in the uncomfortable position he was in.

The next morning, BB brought him breakfast: toast with strawberry jam, and L rolled his eyes when he saw it – BB gave him that every morning.

He let BB feed him the toast even though he didn't really want it. He was hungry, after all.

He wondered briefly how the investigation was going. Obviously they hadn't caught Kira, but still, he wondered.

"So Beyond," L began, swallowing the toast in his mouth. "What can you tell me about Kira?"

"I thought we already discussed this, sweetheart," BB sighed, feeding L more toast. "I can't tell you anything."

"Nothing? Not his eye color or hair color or something like that?"

"No. Besides, that's pointless information, darling."

L sighed and accepted the last bite of the toast. "Just tell me one thing about him? Please?"

BB smirked. "Well, babydoll, he's got these brown eyes that look red in certain light, and hair a similar color."

L's eyes widened as BB got up and went to the door. "There you go, darling. Think about that information, if you will."

BB left L alone to ponder the new information on Kira. 'He's got… brown eyes that look red sometimes… same with his hair… There's only one person I know like that… but… Light… he can't be Kira, he… Could he…?"

L sighed and hoped that Light wasn't Kira. He hoped BB was toying with him, and not telling the truth.

He didn't know what he'd do if Light turned out to be Kira. He didn't want to think about it much, so he just stared off and waited for BB to come back again, or for someone to come save him.

Heyo, second update for today! see you in the next chapter c:

Also, I have another Lawlight with SasuNaru/NaruSasu in it c: it's called 'friends' if you're interested c: