Mutual Understandings

On the other side of the hallway, Louis sat on the edge of his bed, tears gathering in the corners of his eyes.

Exhausted, he stood up and walked towards the metal rimmed mirror on the back of his bedroom door.

"What are you so scared of?" Louis whined at his mirror, voice shaking. He laughed at himself emotionally, as if the mirror was going to tell him.

The boy stared at his reflection, shoulders slumped. His icy blue eyes searching for an excuse, something that he could fall back on.

Excuses, those were always something that Louis had in an instant, stored in the very front of his mind whenever he stepped out into public.

He was always prepared for the questions that fans, interviewers, and the paparazzi threw at him. Lying  became the safe choice..because who really wanted the truth anyways?

'What happened between you and Harry?'

'Nothing, we're just the same at home.'

'Why aren't you talking to Harry anymore?'

'I don't know what you're talking about, we just had a riveting conversation about this venue before we arrived."

'Are you and Harry still friends?'

'Couldn't be closer.'

And that's all that the public wanted; a beautiful lie. So Louis conditioned himself to fib here and there for image sake.

But as he looked at his reflection once again he couldn't help but be disappointed in himself. Who really wanted the truth? He could think of one person.

Harry.

Harry would stutter nervously when asked about their relationship, pleading eyes looking to Louis for some sort of help. But Louis would only look down at his sneakers, leaving the confused boy to fend for himself.

Weeks turned into months and Harry became accustomed to the lies. He'd nod along with Louis' promises and fake a smile for the cameras, knowing that the questions would never end.

But Louis knew it wasn't fair and he knew that Harry didn't understand what he could have done to deserve this all.

Louis sighed, leaning his head against the mirror. For once in his life he didn't have an excuse and he wasn't going to isolate himself until he crafted one.

This time was different, Louis didn't want an excuse. He wanted to work with Harry, not against him. If they were going to get through this stunt, they would have to stick together.

Louis slowly opened the door, padding across the hallway to Harry's room. He stood motionless in front of the door, trying to gather up the courage to knock.

Taking a deep breath, Louis raised his hand up to the wood, lightly knocking.

"Come in," a tearful voice beckoned from the other side of the door. The boy was frozen in his spot, almost afraid that Harry would kick him out immediately.

Seconds flew by with Louis' hand shaking on the doorknob, feet glued to the floor.

"Liam..Niall? The doors open," Harry said again clearer.