Taking Chances

Niall was sprinting down the echoing hallways of the stadium. He needed to find Harry before the concert started. There was no way they could go on stage unless Niall talked to him first.

There was little to no time before the final call to get ready and Harry was no where to be found. Niall checked backstage, in his dressing room, and even on the lower level of the building.

What he didn't realize was that Liam was gone too. In a quite hidden spot, under the staircase near the emergency exits, the two boys were sitting.

Harry was breathing hard, hanging his head in between his knees while Liam offered the boy water persistently.

"H, what's wrong; tell me how I can help? We have to do the concert soon," Liam tried gently.

"I can't stop thinking about that stupid picture!" Harry whisper shouted in frustration.

It was all he could focus on. That day in 2010 when everything was falling so blissfully into place.

"Why is that a bad thing? That's a great memory Harry. It was a fun week, I remember feeling so confident going off stage," Liam studied the boy. Harry looked like he was seconds from bursting into tears.

"Because I'm jealous of me...of younger me. I wish I could travel back in time. Louis and me were happy then," Harry closed his eyes, remembering how it felt being in the boys arms. He felt so safe, so hopeful.

"Why aren't you happy now?" Liam pressed, hoping Harry might tell him exactly what he was looking to hear.

"All this lying and pretending to be something we're not. It hurts, more than you'd know," Harry looked down feeling embarrassed.

"It hurts because you don't love him the way the fans believe you do?" Liam held his breath.

"It hurts because he doesn't love me that way," Harry wiped a stray tear away before Liam could see. "And yeah, because I don't either..." He attempted to cover his tracks.

Liam's eyes lit up. He saw right through Harry. He knew in his heart what the boy truly meant.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that first part," Liam stood up, offering his hands to Harry. It was excruciating having to keep Louis' love a secret, but he made the boy a promise. All he could offer Harry was the slightest bit of hope.

"One Direction, this is your final call. Harry and Louis in the left wing. Liam and Niall in the right," a booming voice called over the speaker system.

Oh no, Liam thought. He had to tell Louis before they went on stage. This could change everything.

"See you out there, H," Liam nodded and took off down the hallway, unknowingly joining Niall in a battle against the clock. Harry scrunched up his face in confusion, what was the big hurry?

~
"LIAM ! Where is Harry? I've been looking for him everywhere!" Niall panicked as he ran into Liam in their wing of the stage.

"Harry was with me but now I don't know where he is. Have you seen Louis? I need to talk to him as soon as possible," Liam looked around back stage frantically.

"I was just talking to Louis in his dressing room. Oh god, I don't even see them over there," Niall squinted, searching the left wing for the boys.