Boyfriends

Harry rocked back and forth on his heels, patiently waiting as Louis unlocked their hotel room.

They walked through the metal frame, taking in the familiar sight. Louis glanced at his bandmate, smiling tightly. It seemed like nothing would ever ease the tension, every time things lightened up, the uncomfortable feeling returned not long after.

Louis dragged his feet towards the curtains, pulling them open sharply with a sigh.

"Can't they tell this is..." Harry mumbled, joining Louis by the window.

"Completely asinine, no one would do something as foolish as exposing themselves...not in our industry anyways," the older boy interrupted, scowling at the skyline.

"I was going to say out of character," Harry bit his bottom lip, eyes drifting to Louis'.

"Maybe to the fans, paps won't care either way, if it writes a good story who cares if it makes sense," Louis shrugged, dropping his eyes back down.

"We're like sitting ducks...barely stand a chance once someone sees us," the younger bounced down onto the only bed in the room, positioned unusually close to the glass window.

"I'd offer to sleep on the ground but we're here for a reason and I don't want to push Simon. Bloody old man probably has plenty more tricks up his sleeve," Louis sat down on the other side carefully.

Harry cringed, heart sinking to the floor. There was a time when he slept tucked into Louis' arms, not knowing how things would change.

"So you think he has more ideas?" Harry curled up, facing away from the window, talking with his eyes closed.

"I'm sure," Louis murmured sadly, watching the boy clutch his pillow.

And if Louis could see the congregation of people in the streets, pointing and pushing to get a clear shot, Harry didn't have to know.

Soon enough the youngest would awake to hear the roar of the crowd and watch the flashes reflect against the cream colored walls.

Louis couldn't make it easier for the boy lying next to him, but for now, he could let Harry drift off to sleep at the break of dawn, praying that he might forget what was happening.

~

The remaining hours of the early morning went by slowly. The tick of the clock signaled the passing time, yet it felt like their world had come to a halt.

Stuck in a game constructed specially just for them, Louis thought they might never be free again. The older sat up in bed, peaking out the window like he was attempting damage control.

A relieved sigh escaped the boy's lips as he scanned the empty LA streets. Alone at last, he closed his eyes.

Rustling softy in the covers, Harry hugged his pillow close, lost in a dream. Louis' attention shifted to the noise, trailing his eyes over the sleeping 21 year old.

Harry looked young when he slept, features soft and cheeks rosy. If Louis laid down and turned on old music he might just travel back in time.

To a time when he and Harry napped together, tucked away on the right side top bunk on the tour bus.

To a time when they would listen to The Fray and Coldplay alone while the other boys watched action movies in the front.