I'll Find out

It was a pretty quite breakfast, but I didn't mind. I didn't feel like talking. I was tired from my sleepless night last night. It was one of those nights last night.. I had a nightmare, and I couldn't go back to sleep, so I spent last night reading the last chapters of my book. I didn't have anything special planned for today, just serving a couple of hours at the diner. 

It's Tuesday, so it's been a couple of days since the rodeo, and I haven't talked to Cooper at all. He's tried texting me, but I've left him on read. I really don't want to have to try to explain to him what was with me, it would end up in a lie. Maybe I should tell him that I was on my period and it was symptoms, and I was acting up all day. Yeah, maybe that would work. Guys hate talking about periods. I know Ashley uses it on Caleb all the time. "Are you available Dakota?" My father's voice awoke me. 

"I'm sorry what?" I say while putting my fork down and looking at everyone. Then everyone looked at each other suspiciously. 

"We're branding tomorrow, are you able to help?" My dad asks me, but slowly, like I wouldn't understand. 

"Yeah, I'd love to." I smile and then stand up with my plate. "Excuse me, I have to go to the diner." 

I looked at myself in the mirror, only having my shirt and underwear on. I turned to my left side and looked at the scar running from the top of my underwear to about four inches down. I ran my finger down it, making my leg shiver. That night was the worst night of my life, and I will never talk about it again. I pealed off the bandage and threw it in the garbage, I didn't need it if I was wearing jeans. 

There was a knock on my door, I finished buttoning my jeans, "Come in." I say and grab my belt off my bed. The door came open and in came my mom. "Hey mom, what's up?" I ask and slip the leather in the belt loops. 

"You were a little quiet at breakfast this morning, everything okay?" She asks me, and I nod almost right away.. I was horrible at lying, when I didn't have a good cause. 

"Yeah, just a little tired." I say to her and look her into eyes. She looked at me like she didn't totally believe me, but in the end she let it go. 

"Okay, don't be too long at the diner, I have stuff for you to do when you get back." She says as she walks out of my room and into the hallway. I wonder what we are going to do after I get back. I looked at the clock and it was already 9:30, well I plan to be back here at 3. 

**************

It was a relaxed afternoon at the diner, kinda busy at sometimes, sometimes it was chill. But later I think it will get more busy because it's suppose to rain later. Usually people stop in to have a coffee and read, or just to relax. 

I grabbed a bus tray and started to clean off the table. Holy, this family left a mess, but a good tip, so I didn't care. I knelled on the booth seat and started wiping down the table. I also began humming, 'Fancy' by Reba. I looked up and out of the window when I heard a truck door close, I frowned at what I saw. 

Cooper was walking away from his black 2013 Ford Powerstroke, oh boy, he looked damn good. But when didn't he? He was wearing a gray sweatshirt and some loose fitting jeans, very casual. His hair was getting a little longer than a short cut, but I'm sure he would look good with the long hair. 

I slid out of the booth and took the bus tray to the kitchen for the other guys to mess with. When I came out from the kitchen, I noticed Cooper sitting in a booth, in my section. I really didn't want to talk to him right now, I don't think I could do it. "Hey May, can you cover for me?" I turn to her and throw my head back to motion towards Cooper. Maybell raised her eyebrows at me and laughed.