Chapter Twelve: Ilsurni Castle

The glory of Ilsurni Castle had been renowned throughout the ages. It sat high in the forested mountains of Mithoran. In days long past, before there were four elvin kingdoms, Ilsurni Castle had been the seat of power in the elvin world.

It controlled all the elvin lands under one royal house. As time passed, it out stretched its power and splintered into the mountains of Mithoran, the river lands of the Kingdom of Kai'lym, the seafaring Kingdom of Lomnar, and the rolling plains of the Thathis Kingdom.

War spread and alliances were formed, leaving Ilsurni Castle in ruins, a testament to the once great might of the elves. Only the kingdom of Kai'lym could claim a direct lineage to it now.

And Lord Fennaris knew its history well. It was the main reason for his selecting the ruins of Ilsurni Castle as his fortress. To eradicate any thought of the previous dynasty he had overthrown, the capital was moved from Senaris to Ilsurni Castle. He was intent on rebuilding and restoring it to his former glory. The elvin kingdoms would become one once again, under his rule, as they were meant to be.

Deep beneath the foundation of Ilsurni Castle was an underground labyrinth sitting against the encroaching wilderness that was untamed like the unnatural creatures that stalked the various twisted corridors. The vegetation that surrounded and invaded the tunnels could prove to be just as deadly as the occupants.

Prisoners were rarely guarded, only on occasion when their survival was essential. Most prisoners were sent to the lowest dungeons left to roam the damp, darken tunnels aimlessly.

Death awaited any who wandered the corridors without an expert guide or warrior. Madness, starvation, or turning into prey were the predictable outcomes. Hope of escape was a distraction to survival.

It was not unusual for mangled bodies or rotting flesh to be found throughout the tunnels. As it was, there were no clear numbers on the amount of prisoners held within the walls of the labyrinth of the castle.

Within the bowels of the labyrinth, two sentries stood watch at the entrance of a hidden tunnel that led to a filthy cell. Their obvious presence signifying the importance of the prisoner held within.

Crouched in the dungeon, Lily drifted in and out of consciousness recovering from the Crossing.

"Kill her and done. I think its best." The guard's deep voiced resembled the grunting of a pig, for he was no elf but a sorceress' creation.

"Clearly you should not burden yourself with such a heavy task," Lord Fennaris snarled as he approached them, "You were not made to think."

The guards fidgeted to regain their composure as they acknowledged Lord Fennaris' impromptu arrival. Mimika trailed him, her red robes flowing like sluggish blood. "I am curious to see if she may be more powerful than you." He glanced back at her, eyebrow cocked.

"That is unlikely. She lacks training and was raised in a realm practically devoid of magic. My powers are unsurpassable." In a haughty attitude, she brushed past Lord Fennaris into the narrow tunnel.

"Are you certain?" He baited.

"Afterall," Mimika continued to defend her wounded pride, "we do not even know she's the one we need. She's probably just a simple human. Weak and powerless like the rest of them." In her mind, no other mage in the continent rivaled her, let alone a human.

"The crystal recognized her as it did with the other one. I do not believe an unconscious girl could deceive the crystal. There is magic somewhere in her and we will harness it. She will be the final instrument as we attack Armindia." His hand went to the iron bolt at the top of the door.