Chapter Thirty-Two: The Fate of the Fallen

For whatever the reason, Aurora was thankful that she had not been blindfolded as she was escorted through the trees. Discreetly she looked all about her, just as she was instructed by Eri to do so.

There were as many pathways and bridges as there were leaves. Finding a possible escape route would require navigating a maze. The only sure way of escape was down. But that was far, far below.

As they approached the inner limits of the tree city, there were more spiraling turns and paths woven out of tree limbs. At the end of the upward spiral, she saw the city, if one looked closely.

It wasn't so much as if houses loomed on top of branches, but that ornately decorated pathways and doorways dotted the trunks. To anyone on the ground looking up, the pathways appeared to be no more than branches and the bridges vines. The trees were the city, cleverly disguised inside the forest.

She was led to what she assumed was the center of the city. A massive burgundy tree with considerably more pathways than any of the others rose before her.

Once inside, she was quickly led down through a narrow corridor and deposited into a small room. There was only a frail looking chair and a narrow window high on the wall from which the morning light streamed in.

The guard closed the door behind her. Eri had warned her that they'd probably keep her watched so she guessed the guard remained outside. She turned to the window again, but it was far too narrow for her to slip through.

Her hands remained tied. There was nothing in the room for her to use to pry of the rope. With Eri's words in mind to study their location, Aurora kicked the chair to the window. Carefully balancing herself, she stood on the chair and looked out.

Not long after, in a tree further off, she noticed two elves forcibly taking another prisoner through a doorway. It was Lucas. Her breath hitched.

Her eyes remained fixated to the tree where Lucas had been taken. How long she watched, she did not know. The guards did not leave and neither did Lucas.

Then the door unexpectedly opened and she stumbled, lost her balance and fell back, hitting the floor hard. Looming above her, she knew without a doubt, was the Red Fox.

A red mask, exposing only his eyes, concealed the upper part of his face and hair. Briefly he ignored her and closed the door. Almost effortlessly he lifted her of the floor and placed her on the chair.

He towered before her with his arms crossed while her heart hammered erratically. Finally he broke the silence. "Trying to escape, I see. I suppose your friends are not important to you then?"

Aurora eyed him suspiciously, wondering if she could overpower him with magic and run out. But before the thought fully formed he warned, "Uh-uh-uhh. I would not if I were you. Do you know who I am?"

She fidgeted but begrudgingly answered, "Yes."

A roguish grin spread beneath the mask. "Excellent, I hate introductions. And do you know what I am going to do with you?"

She hesitated. "We did nothing wrong."

"That remains to be seen." His tone was brusque. "I know who you are, Key of Armindia."

"I, I don't understand. I don't know what you are talking about? What do you want?" She'd reared her head back as he leaned in.

"There is much that I know about you. I keep a close watch on my enemies, but I've yet to decide which you are. Sooner or later you will confirm my suspicions." He took her arm and led her out the door. They walked through a winding corridor that led to a spiraling staircase.