Chapter Twenty-Two: A New Discovery

The Sorceress Mimika reached their joint cells first. Her golden streaked hair clashed against the gloom that surrounded the dungeon. A sinister smile spread her delicate lips as her violet eyes glimmered with malice.

Nim had often wondered how so much beauty could encompass so much wickedness. Her slender and lithe figure only made her appear more defenseless. It was a fortunate guise against all who thought her a weak opponent.

Yet her mind was sharp, her arms and hands swift to create magical wards, and her tongue fast to cast a spell. She was a stunning, ruthless killer shrouded in navy robes that clung enticingly to her body.

Lord Fennaris was a quick step behind her. His sword and dagger were at his waist as always. It was rumored that he not only slept with a dagger, but his sword at his side. A man like Fennaris had certainly made many enemies in his quick rise to power, as Nim recalled. Although, he was certain that even Lord Fennaris did not completely trust Mimika. He'd be a fool if he did.

From the corner where he huddled, Nim saw Lord Fennaris's tall frame approach his cell then walk past him to the girl. There was no reason for Lord Fennaris to approach him now. Not after he'd gotten what he wanted out of Nim.

Mimika cast back an appreciative glance at Fennaris in his light leather armor. In Mimika's estimation, his eyes, muddy green waters, held the real danger. Her grinned brightened as she opened Lily's cell door.

The door gave a high pitched creak at the hinges before giving way. Lily had long ceased breathing and lay motionless in fear, too weak to fight whatever was coming.

Her eyes were shut tight, an instinct to block out the horror that approached. She heard the heavier set of footfalls scrape the floor and stop beside her.

Lord Fennaris squatted beside her and caressed her cheek with the back of his fingers. The smile in Mimika's face vanished. Lily shivered at his touch and squeezed her eyes tighter. Shadows invaded her mind and transformed into murky shapes.

"Good. You're awake." His voice was as treacherous as thin ice. She remained silent; not knowing what to do or to where Nim had retreated. Fennaris stroked her hair behind her ear.

"Don't. Touch. Me." Lily clenched her jaw.

Lord Fennaris held a lock of hair in his hand. "You are uniquely special in power. But what makes you so, I wonder? Tell me about the other girl?" His voice held a jagged edge.

"What other girl?" He slapped her across the face. Her cheek stung though she knew he had restrained himself. Mimika smirked. Nim controlled his impulse to help. And Lily remained silent.

"Do not play the imbecile. Why else would you be there? Tell me about the other girl. What do you know about her?" He demanded while anger seethed at the surface.

"I don't know anything about another girl. I heard noises and I followed the sounds. Then I remember nothing. I don't even know how I got here or where here is."

Lily wished with all her heart that she wasn't a prisoner in an unknown place in a strange world. That she was with Aurora--- away and safe, but wishing would not fade reality. She was where she was. Hope in Aurora was all she could cling to now. Aurora would come---while she would remain silent.

Lily concentrated on Fennaris's voice. In her mind the image lightened from inky splotches to muddy water. She knew if she focused more there would be something she could discern. The effort to focus drained what little strength she had left.

"Do you have any idea of the curiosity, the doubts, you have stirred? Even that infernal knight was there."

She heard the hatred in his voice and wondered who this knight was. Maybe the knight had gotten to Aurora first?