Chapter Twenty-Six: Master Owen

Lucas's attempts at making small talk with Eri through their watch was short lived. Instead he resorted to talking to himself or whistling to the trees to hear it echoed back by them.

Daybreak couldn't arrive fast enough for Eri and its sluggish arrival was a great welcome. There was just something about him, besides him shooting her brother, which simply annoyed her to no end. Something wasn't right--- she didn't trust him. Not by a long shot.

As the rest of the group stirred to life, food was prepared and needs were met. Eri and Owen confided in each other as they often did. Both stared at the trio eating breakfast, contemplating where the puzzle pieces were falling into place.

Whatever Tezaro's reasons for not revealing his secret engagement to them, they intended to feign ignorance. Though Owen conceded it explained Tezaro's possessiveness over the girl. As to the role of Lucas, neither was certain.

When all traces of camp were collected, they made ready to leave. This ensued an argument as to with whom Aurora would ride. Ending it, Aurora took matters into her own hands.

"I have my own mind, and every decision I have made has been my own. This is no different. Understand? Good. Then it's settled." Aurora walked toward her rider and mounted, daring the others to contradict her choice. "Thanks, Eri."

Eri led the horse past them, chuckling loudly. "What a bunch of idiots," and she continued to laugh harder.

Though irked that she hadn't chosen to ride with him, Tezaro was at least grateful that Aurora had also not gone with Lucas. Eri would protect her, and he and Owen would discuss entering Ilsurni Castle. On second thought, Tezaro felt it was fortunate that Lucas was on a barian, the height and shifting movement of its strides kept him from participating much in any discussion.

They had agreed that sneaking in at night was the best choice. A day or two scouting the best possible location to enter was factored in as well. Blending in was not an option.

Only Lucas could assume that role and no one was comfortable with that idea. Lucas may have been admitted into the group, but he had yet to earn their trust.

Through the day they continued deep within the forest, though it seemed to have no end. The trees and the fascinating new plant life that burst out in vibrant blues, reds, purples, and yellows made Aurora awe struck.

She could not comprehend how impossibly tall the trees were and how each seemed larger than the one before. A persistent yellow vine climbed from tree to tree with small budding orange flowers. Another bush that resembled bramble, with blue flowers that opened and closed as if they were breathing littered the floor.

Aurora kept her eyes open, taking in all the wonders of this chattering forest; but no matter how captivating the sights might be, her eyes would stray to Tezaro.

At first she had thought she had made a mistake not choosing to ride with him. Throughout the day he had diligently debated and planned with Owen how to enter Ilsurni Castle. Perhaps had she ridden with him she could have been more involved in Lily's rescue.

Still, she would have nothing to contribute. He was the one familiar with Mithoran and its forces. Not to mention his experience far outweighed anything she had ever expected. And he was doing this for her. She sighed loudly.

Eri suppressed a snort. Whenever her conversation waned with Aurora, she was typically gazing at Tezaro. If she had any doubts about their relationship, Aurora's longing stares settled them.

Interestingly enough, she also picked up on Tezaro casting his own looks at Aurora, usually with a pretext of checking that they weren't falling behind. She cocked an eyebrow at him. When had she ever?