Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Elder Tree

Lucas was taken to the heart of the tree city, the Elder Tree. This was the part of the Murmurwoods that only the Fallen knew.

Swaying plank bridges connected several trees with others where natural tree limbs did not reach. Living quarters were carved out of the trees, usually allowing for several families to share the same tree at different levels. Spacious front rooms literally branched out from within to other rooms.

The Elder Tree, as it was called by the Fallen, was the largest and the meeting place for strategy while the upper level was reserved as the living quarters for the Red Fox.

"Open your eyes. There's no need to pretend anymore."

Lucas opened his eyes and his gaze darted about the room before he stood and easily removed his bindings. "Did they suspect?"

Delrynn shook his head in response while Lucas tossed the rope aside. Lucas rubbed his aching jaw. "That was a pretty hard hit."

Ivory teeth stretched into a lazy grin. "I had to make it look convincing."

Lucas eyed him disbelievingly then stepped to a nearby window to look out. Elves walked along the bridges carrying bundles, some children were racing along another bridge. There was a faint scent of cooking fires in the air.

He was back. It was beginning to feel more and more like home. Things appeared to have continued moving along as he had instructed weeks ago.

He turned away from the window and became the Red Fox. All traces of frivolity gone. "I had expected you earlier. What caused the delay?"

"We were scouting a small band of travelers when we heard your call. They were not carrying anything of significance so we let them be. Then Jarl came across your arrow lodged in one of the retrieving nodes." Delrynn fell silent and awaited for the Red Fox to speak.

Not that he expected to know the comings and goings of his leader. They may have been close, but there were some things that the Fox always kept to himself.

"I had to use it to escape. Tell Jarvis the mechanism can sustain more substantial weight." Lucas remembered holding Aurora close as they dropped from the trees. He saw Delrynn's quizzical look.

"I tested it out. Then shot the node to retrieve it or risk others finding it. I anticipated you finding my arrow." The sight of the weapons reminded him of further precautions to be made. "We also need to stock better weapons than this for the next time I am being hunted." He pointed at the worn sword on the table.

"Why were you being hunted? No one knows your true identity, dressed as you are. May I ask what are we going to do with these prisoners?" Delrynn stepped around the long table ignoring the weapons.

As the Red Fox, Lucas had led the Mithorianian refugees and helped build some semblance of a life within the woods. Within the five years of his leadership as the Red Fox, Delrynn had quickly stood out among the Fallen refugees.

From his vantage point, Delrynn was clever, resourceful and an excellent fighter. There was no question as to who was second in command in the Fox's absence. It was a respected and trusted partnership between them.

A wide smile spread across Lucas's face as he answered. "We are holding prisoner the greatest swordsman there's been in generations. We have captured Armindia's Protector." He considered Delrynn's expression as his eyes narrowed and his arms folded across his chest.

"How do you know? Are you certain?" Delrynn was skeptical.

"I fought him." That triggered a response from Delrynn that pleased Lucas. He turned around and riffled though the weapons Delrynn had taken from them.

Placing aside his beloved bow from the pile, Lucas found what he sought and held it reverently. "This is his sword." Slowly, he removed the scabbard. They quietly admired the engraved elaborate patterns that twisted across the smoothness of the blade, a striking contrast to the apparent simplicity of the hilt. Its sole beauty its design.

Delrynn ached to touch it. "How does it---"

Lucas did not let him finish, "I do not know."

"Do you know how the fire is called?" Delrynn continued to eye it longingly, but dared not touch it when Lucas shook his head to his question. "What of his skill? Is it exaggerated by his ego?"

Lucas returned the encased sword to the table and breathed out, shaking his head. "It is not exaggerated in the least."

He recalled their fight from the previous day and the soreness returned to his arms recalling how his arms trembled at Tezaro's power and speed. Now he knew and understood Tezaro had just been toying with him at the clearing.

"It pains me to admit it, but he spared my life or I would not be before you now." Knowing whom he had faced, he knew he should be glad of the decision to spare his life, but the loss still wounded his pride.

"He is not only a master with the blade, but I believe there is none that could rival him." That made him cautious and suspicious of him. Such a man could take what he wanted by force.

Delrynn eyed Lucas's back. "I'm sure the sword has a lot to do with it. There is no other like it."

"Delrynn," he paused, "he did not call the fire to the sword when we fought. What's more, I believe based on his skill that he rarely has need for it." Lucas remained silent, pondering his next course of action while Delrynn patiently waited.

"We still need him." The words felt bitter as they spoke of his inability to reclaim their lands from Lord Fennaris.

Two years ago in his appointed meeting with the Protector, Lucas's plan had been to persuade Armindia through the Protector to join their cause in regaining their lands. Though, he did not plan on revealing himself as the Red Fox. He had another identity he could rely on for that.

Tezaro had already been fighting Lord Fennaris's forces for years along the southern borders of Armindia and had succeeded in holding them back. Together with the Shield, Armindia's elite fighting warrior knights, Lucas was certain they could have reclaimed some of their lands. But when Tezaro had renounced his title, all chance of outside aid for the Fallen had gone with him.

Yet, even though Tezaro had forsaken his rank and titles, the people of Armindia would still answer if he called for aid, of that Lucas was certain. His long awaited meeting with the Protector had finally arrived. And if that failed he still had another choice. One that had quite literally presented herself to him.

Delrynn walked across the table to face his leader. His gaze scanned through the assorted weapons until the Fox spoke. "But there is another."

"Who? Who are the others with him?" While they had escorted the prisoners through the forest, Delrynn had carefully studied each one in turn, but he knew appearances were deceiving.

"I'll tell you who they are and just how they can help us, but I do not want to repeat myself. Find Nim. I want him to know everything and see what he thinks. He'll be amazed at our good fortune. I'm surprised he has not come by already. Does he not know I'm here?"

His easy smile faded when he saw the grim expression on Delrynn. "Where is he?"

There was no preamble. "He was captured. He went past the borders and into Mithoran scouting their numbers and locations. Two others were with him when they were discovered. He created a diversion while they fled. I took the liberty of sending the same two who were with him to gather his location. They should not be long in arriving."

Lucas sat at the news of the capture of his mentor and father figure. "How long ago was this?"

"Almost since you left."

"Leave me, but let me know the moment they arrive." Without turning back, he took the stairs to his quarters. He needed time to think and be alone to plan.

As luck would have it, soon after nightfall the scouting party arrived. Led in by Delrynn, the elves reported to the Red Fox.

He faced them in his full Red Fox regalia; his face half concealed by a red leather bound mask, his ears and hair hidden by the cloth knotted at the back of his head. "Well?"

"He's being held at Ilsurni Castle."

"Perfect. I know just who can help us."