Chapter Forty-Six: Oaths and Threats

Several large glow stones and wall sconces illuminated the spacious parlor with rich colored upholstered furnishings. Sitting together, Master Owen continued his lessons of rudimentary runes with Aurora.

Eri sat with a bored expression spinning a small knife in one hand completely juxtapose to the soft green maiden robes she wore. From time to time, her attention would be drawn to the doorway from which Lily and Tezaro had yet to enter.

At that moment, Tezaro guided Lily with deliberate attention as they slowly walked the empty halls to the parlor.

"From what Aurora told me, it was not an easy feat getting to me, let alone rescuing me from Fennaris' dungeons." Without hesitation, Lily used her Sight to look upon Tezaro. "You have my undying gratitude."

"There is no need for that. And I did not do it alone. Owen and Eri helped just as much." Tezaro pointed out.

"As well as Valdor." The shadow that passed across Tezaro's face with the mention of Valdor intrigued Lily. "I'm indebted to all of you, but you most of all. You kept Ro safe. I know her well, and that is not a simple thing to accomplish. Which is why I must ask, what's in it for you? What do you want from her?" Lily refused to hide her suspicions.

"I beg your pardon?"

"Ro is broken and reckless. She trusted a stranger in a strange land to tell her the truth. I cannot count the number of times I've pulled her out of harm's way. She needs protecting from herself and now I fear, even from you, my savior." Lily's voiced lowered at the last. They halted outside the parlor door.

"You think I'm some kind of danger to her?" Thoughts of his prophecy came to mind, but they were his to guard. It was his prophecy to keep at bay, no matter the cost.

"Absolutely. You have the potential of  hurting her deeply. I don't know your motives behind all of this, therefore I don't trust you. As we stand here, I can feel there is something dark about you. Something that you're hiding. Tell me, what do you want from her?" Lily insisted.

Tezaro was impressed by her. This was someone he could understand; her motives, her thinking. She hid nothing and demanded the same of others. She was good hearted and honest, a qualities he respected greatly. "When I deliver Aurora to Armindia, I will receive something that I greatly need. I have to get her there without delay."

"Is that why you kissed her?" Lily saw the shock in his face, but went on." To manipulate her to follow you and do as you asked? Was I a delay?"

She may have been a prisoner and blind, but the woman before him was no invalid. "No, you were not a delay. I have my reasons for doing what I did. As to what happened between me and Aurora, I will not discuss it."

Tezaro remained silent.

Lily squeezed his hand and her mind came underassault. Flashes of scenes moving too fast for her to comprehend them all assaulted her as she tightened her hold on his hand. Suddenly, the scenes fled just as quickly as they had stabbed her mind. There was no way to make sense of the images, but two she was able to recall with utmost clarity. An opal dagger and Aurora sprawled on the floor clutching her stomach with a bloodied hand, the dagger at her side.

"You look ill. Let me help you." Ignoring their argument Tezaro made to wrap his arm around her waist.

Still using her Sight, she noticed the opal dagger at his waist. Quickly she snatched her hands from him. It was the very same dagger from her vision. "I was right." She hissed.  "Aurora is not safe with you. She is a sister to me. I have to tell her to protect her." Once again she tried to scramble from him.

Wary that she might fall without her sight, Tezaro hovered besides her. "I swore an oath. I will die before any harm comes to her."

"Then you will fail. I won't let her leave with you. Ro must stay." She made to walk away but Tezaro took her by the arm, stopping her protests.