Chapter Twenty-Four: True Intentions

The night engulfed them and the dull glow of the floral vegetation only intensified the darkness more. But the Murmurwoods refused to remain silent.

As had been agreed, Tezaro sat alone by a large tree root taking the first watch, sharpening his sword, a habit that was so ingrained in his being that there was no need for light. The day had taken quite a different turn of events than what he had expected. They had found Aurora to his great relief, but had been forced to take on a new ally, to his great annoyance.

His eyes set on the sleeping elf. Lucas, Aurora called him. He trusted Owen's judgment that Lucas meant no harm to her, yet there had been an unmistakable animosity between them from the start. Probably because they both wanted what they had no right to claim, he snorted.

Larn's murder still hung over his head; he would not be satisfied until he was avenged. Even if he found the answers he wanted, his future was still not his. It belonged to a prophecy he did not want.

But already fate was in motion by simply placing her in his path. He laughed inwardly at the irony of it all. The Oracle's words mocked him. To keep her safe he had sworn an oath to protect her and stay by her side and that very action endangered her more than any other threat.

The night carried on peacefully as the others slept, and Tezaro gazed out to the forest, trying to ignore its whispers in search for more sinister sounds. All too quickly his watch drew to a close.

Owen began to stir and walked softly to Lucas. In silence, he drew a fine powder out from his pouch then sprinkled it on him while murmuring an enchantment. He then sat beside Tezaro. "We will not be disturbed. It is time we spoke clearly."

Owen looked directly at him. He waited patiently for Tezaro's response.

How much should he tell his friend? Should he reveal his dark prophecy? Giving Aurora his crest? Finally, Tezaro made up his mind.

"Several weeks ago, I received a summons from Anthonias..." Tezaro proceeded in telling Owen all that had transpired: the reason for his Crossing, rescuing Aurora, discovering Lord Fennaris's abduction of Lily, their encounters in the desert, up to the point he met up with him and Eri. "The rest you know."

Tezaro chose to keep his impulsive decision of giving Aurora his crest to himself. He wasn't ready to delve into deeper waters that were muddied with prophecy.

Only Lucas knew about her wearing his crest and that pleased him greatly. However the elf appeared to be suspicious of it. He would have to walk a fine line between crushing Lucas's suspicions and not raising Owen or Eri's curiosity.

"What you're telling me is that you plan to take the Key to Fennaris's doorstep in Mithoran. For that, you might as well have surrendered years ago when you ruled the kingdom!" Owen stared intently at Eri and Aurora's sleeping forms a distance away.

"I was not the king."

"You made all the decisions."

"As commander. We were at war. And that's not what I'm doing." Tezaro grabbed his arm to get his attention.

"That is exactly what you're doing. The girl has unquestionable powers, I felt them stir in the Silent Circle, but even you cannot protect her from all of Mithoran. She needs to be taken to Armindia where she will do the most good." Owen's reasoning was infallible, and exactly the same thinking that Aurora had refused.

"You think I do not know that? I overheard the northern lords grow restless led by Mobisto. I know she needs to be there, but first she feels a responsibility to save her friend. Besides, you agreed with what she was doing when I told you." It was a weak excuse, but the only one Tezaro could present. His true motives for helping Aurora to rescue Lily were his own.

"That was before I knew who she was. She has to go to Armindia." Owen was unyielding.

"No, I cannot take Aurora to Armindia and risk her running away and possibly landing in more danger. And I will not treat her as a prisoner either. She wants to rescue a friend. Have we not all done the same?" He smiled sheepishly hoping to jog Owen's memory.

"Besides, I do not plan on fighting all of Mithoran --- at least not alone. So, how about it?" His stare was straightforward but with a smirk on his face.

Owen finally returned his smile. "What about Lucas?" They both stared at Lucas's sprawled out form, sleeping soundly. Owen studied Lucas's magical aura once again. "We're stuck with him. Still, I do not sense any harm from him."

Tezaro listened to Owen's judgment, even if he didn't like it. "If he is any good with that bow, he may be of some use afterall." Tezaro saw Owen's small grin.

"What?" Tezaro was certain Owen was holding back.

Owen's right hand went high on his left arm where the rip from Lucas's shot was located and rubbed it carelessly. "Oh, I'm sure he is quite good with it. I'm almost positive he aimed to miss. Not that it makes any sense." He continued to muse silently about the elf's skill while fiddling with the tear.

"Go to sleep my friend, you've earned your rest. And you need not worry about Eri and I. We will be at your side as always." He smiled as Tezaro stood, relieved of duty.

"One more thing," Owen paused as Tezaro was about to walk away. "Since my sister and I will be helping you, it's only fair that you should know I plan on taking on Aurora as my apprentice."

Tezaro turned to him, his stare frigid, his voice accusing, "This? This is the reason behind your eager acceptance to enter Mithoran."

Owen remained seated and shrugged his shoulders with insignificance, "One of the reasons at any case." He continued, dismissing Tezaro's tone. "If we are not going to Armindia and she is the Key to the kingdom then there is little to time to waste. You know that. She must be taught.

"Your approval is not required. Eri and I have always followed your lead. We trust your judgment. Trust in mine." They remained in deadlock.

Tezaro took a step forward, "I never said I did not. I trust you most of all. If I remember correctly, you've never had a problem with disagreeing with me; and Eri has made it her mission in life to tell me when I'm being an ass. She's very comfortable in that role. I used to depend on that. It's just been a while since---"

"Over a year." Owen pointed out. "But we're here now."

"Yes." He cleared his throat. "Thank you." Tezaro walked away and didn't turn back.