Chapter Twenty-Three: Eri's Camp

Remaining dry had not been an option. The downpour of rain fell relentlessly through varying cascades of descending leaves, soaking the group thoroughly before adequate shelter had been found.

Eri worked mutely in synchronization with her brother and Tezaro to arrange camp. They had done this so many times before each knew their tasks well.

All the while her eyes kept darting to Lucas. Unperturbed by the wet conditions, he kept rummaging for food through packs until he finally volunteered to go hunting. If Tezaro had not refused him, she certainly would have told him to shut up and sit down. There was just something about him that made her wary.

Meanwhile, Aurora looked on, hoping to be of some help by not getting in their way. Eri took pity on her and pulled Aurora away to show her how to tend to the horses.

The clouds had quickly swept by after unburdening their heavy mass in sheets of curtains. The fingers of the sun light dissolved what had remained of drizzles. Before long, the earth had absorbed the rainwater leaving behind a spongy texture to the forest floor.

Creating a fire out of fallen twigs and small branches had proved to be fruitless. They were saturated with water. Dusk had quickly approached and by then everyone had become acquainted, even if begrudgingly.

Atop of a large branch Eri studied the sight beneath her. She was unsure what to make of the girl. Carefully she watched her brother Owen sit beside the girl and talk in hushed tones. Eri could only assume it was about magic; the chattering of the trees made it difficult to tell.

Then Tezaro skillfully flanked Aurora, by shoving Lucas out of the way. At that Eri cocked a brow. Left with little choice Lucas sat across from them as Eri descended and joined her brother.

They shared a meager meal consisting mostly of bread and fruit. It did not escape Eri's noticed that once again Owen had hardly eaten. It was a trait she found disturbing and had grown more common. Magic tended to blind her brother to all other needs.

"You are a sorcerer?" Aurora looked at Owen skeptically.

He nodded. "A mage, actually." There was a quizzical look on her face. "A sorcerer implies the manipulation of magic from others, such as stealing magical energy from living beings. Magi refuse to abuse others in that manner."

A small ball of light floated above his open palm. "We harness the natural energy within us though it may deplete our own physical strength. With discipline it becomes easier and the loss of strength less considerable." He closed his hand to extinguish the light.

"From what Tezaro tells me, you're a mage too." Both Eri and Owen studied her response closely. The girl shrugged then gave a short awkward nod. Owen frowned briefly at her reluctant acceptance. "Your powers are not accepted among your people?" Eri had been wondering the same question.

"Owen." She recognized the warning in Tezaro's voice and saw his eyes grow cold.

Her brother returned the stare equally. "Soon."

"Fine."

"Alone."

"No." Tezaro's response was immediate.

It was that silent communication that irked her that passed between them. Eri turned to the elf. He looked confused if not frustrated at the exchange before him. She smirked at his reaction. Then she almost caught herself smiling at finding another who felt as she did. When he faced her, she quickly schooled her expression into a scowl.

"I said alone." Owen repeated himself. She knew her brother on those rare occasions was not above using a sleeping spell if he needed privacy. They all knew how this would end. Tezaro's frustration was evident as he stood.