Chapter 4

I kicked and screamed under the water, anxiously flapping my arms to prevent from sinking. I couldn't swim. Water filled my tight lungs.

Guns fired off in the distance. Water took over my ears to the point where all I could hear was the rushing water. I felt a tug on my arm. I pushed my eyes open to the dark blurriness that was the Chicago River. Opening my eyes didn't help. I still couldn't see anything. I was tugged again and pulled closer to Nova.

Before I reached her, I slipped into a dark, stiff state of unconsciousness.

I stiffened my shoulder when I woke, no longer emerged in water, I was only just drenched in it. Every part of me ached and shivered. I began coughing.

I was moving. Where was I?

"Will."

I opened my eyes. Nova stood above me. I was securely wrapped in a heavy towel.

"Will." She repeated more aggressively.

"W-where are we?" I said weakly.

"We're below deck on a yacht. We luckily ran into one of dad's friends out here. Can you hear me?"

I could, it sounded like a low mumble. I nodded and jerked my head, flushing the water out.

Nova was in the early stages of drying. Her hair was still dark and stiff, as was her clothes. She wasn't wrapped in a towel.

"How are the kiddies doing down here?"

A tall man with a crooked smile came from the upper deck. He walked with a silver cane. He was well past middle aged.

"Thank you so much, Mr. Mills. We're fine. How could I ever repay you?" Asked Nova.

"No trouble at all. Don't even mention it, always glad to help out the kids of the great Frank Merlin."

"What were you doing out here so late anyway?" Liam asked, wiping his wet head.

"Just bringing the little yacht back deck. It's not much, but it's good enough for me. I had a party earlier this evening, sorry about the mess."

I didn't even notice it until he pointed it out. Glasses were scattered through out the boat, as well as empty bottles of champagne.

"Almost to the shoreline." He began to go back up.

"Be right back." He muttered and went on the upper deck.

"How fortunate for us, huh?" Nova said to me.

"What happened out there?" Liam questioned, expecting Nova to know the answer.

"It seemed to be a setup. The police intercepted the dealers and the-..Did we just stop? Why did we stop?" Nova jumped up. Before she could open the door, Glenn Mills flew the door open. His gun was tight in his hand.

We jumped up, my towel dropped. We waved our arms up in defense.

"What are you doing?" Asked Nova.

"I'm about to become a very rich man." He smiled.

"How?"