Chapter 33

It was night time. Mom hadn't moved from the couch, only to go to the bathroom. Clarke offered her to sleep in his bed, but she just shook her head and rolled over. I had always thought my mom was stronger, I understood she had just lost her son, but I thought she could bounce back from anything. The loss of her baby crushed even the strongest person I could ever know.

We stood in the kitchen.

"We need to find Toni."

"Where would he be? At the club?" I asked.

"He wouldn't show back up there, unless he wanted his skull crushed." Said Clarke.

Crash!

The front door flew open, the kitchen window shattered.  Glass broke all over the floor.

Clarke drew his gun at the intruding threats and pushed me behind him. People broke in, surrounding us. They were covered in black clothing, their guns bigger than his. They circled us. Some ran through the house. I put my hands up.

Was it Toni? Did he send people to finish us off? He was too afraid to come. He knew we'd kill him.

Two men scooped up my mother and made their way towards the door. She struggled.

Oh no, not her too. They couldn't kill her too.

"Put her down!" Clarke yelled.

"Release your hostages!" A woman's voice said through her mask.

"Hostages? Nova?" I said, looking at her closely.

"Will, we'll save you. Get down. Now. Shoot!" She commanded, their guns pointing at Clarke.

I stepped in front of him.

"No, no! You've got it all wrong. We're not hostages!"

Liam and Nova tugged off their masks. It was such a relief to see their faces.

"Is he making you say that?" Nova asked, keeping Clarke at gunpoint.

"No! Enough with this whole show, put your guns down." I said.

They waited for Nova to signal, when she did, they set their weapons down.

She came over and hugged me.

"Will. I never thought I'd see you again."

"I felt the same way. We're safe now."

Liam came up slowly to me.

"Look, Will. I'm sorry. For everything. I was a real dick to you."

I hugged him and patted him on the back.

They set my mom down.

"Mom!" Nova hugged her. Liam released me and did the same.

"You're here. Is Minga with you?" Liam questioned.

"No, sweetheart. I haven't seen her since the day I left. But that means she's safe. It's so good to see you, my two beautiful twins."

"Where's Jack? Is he running around here somewhere?" Liam looked around for the absent boy.

I watched my mom's heart shatter all over again.