Chapter 8

I had never seen my father look as terrified as he did after receiving the King's threat.

"Why? Do you think they'll actually-?"

"Will, what are you doing out here?"

"Oh, just got back from the bathroom." I lied walking in with them. They came back with containers of sandwiches and salads. It wasn't great by any means, but I didn't realize how hungry I was until then.I felt a little selfish eating in front of Liam, but he was on a strictly pudding and IV diet until the doctor said otherwise.

My father didn't mention anything the entire time. He quietly ate his turkey and swiss before getting up to leave.

"I have stuff to take care of at home. I'll be back to  see you later."

He left quickly and silently. Whatever they were talking about, he was afraid.

After a week of recovery in the hospital, they allowed Liam to go home. My father avoided most contact. I wheeled him into the house. Nova carried his crutches in behind him. Minga went home the next day. She did have a minor concussion, but was expected to be alright.

Liam ignored her texts and calls. He turned his phone on silent and shoved it deep into his pocket. His eye was a mix of yellow and purple from the bruise. It was slowly healing.

He was parked in his wheel chair by the couch. I could hear his phone going off.

Beep
Beep
Beep

"Seriously?" I said, getting annoyed at his phone going off.

"What?"

Beep.

"You're ignoring her? She probably thinks your dead." I said.

"So be it."

"Really. She's clearly hurt right now."

Beep

"Like you should be talking, you don't know anything about relationships!" He snapped.

This was true. I didn't know. I had no further argument. I pushed him in the house and went upstairs. Why would Liam do that to her? Was it because of something that happened before? Or was it about the conversation he and my father had?
I passed my father's office.

"What is it Frank?" I backed up, recognizing my mom's delicate voice. I peaked my eye through the crack of the door.  Eavesdropping was one of my few skills I was good at.
He spoke quietly, something I wasn't used to hearing.

"Liam wasn't attacked by strangers. He was attacked by the King family. They know, Ellie."

She pulled away in a panic. I watched her face go from concerned to absolutely mortified.

"Frank! How could you! I warned you! They know you have it! They're gonna kill us and the kids. Not the kids! Jack is so young. Liam and Nova are such strong people. And Will has so much to offer the world."

Oh yeah? Like what? I can't do anything. I'm alone.

"I know. I know. That's why you need to leave."

"What?"

"It's me they want, and they'll use you to get to me. I want you and the kids safe."