Chapter 35

We were determined to return the next day. We packed the few supplies we had. It was so hard to believe we had nothing to go back to. No home, no father, no little brother.

"Let's head out. Got everything?" Nova said. Mom stood in the kitchen while we were heading out the door.

"I'm staying."

"What? No! You can't stay here alone." Jumped  Liam.

"He's right mom, you can't stay here alone."

"I'm not as fragile as you think. I don't want to go back. I don't want to see the people who killed my son. I'm sick of fighting. I just want some peace. I can protect myself."

"Mom, I really think you should come with us."

"So it's safer for me to walk into a fight? No. I'm staying right here. I can fend for myself if someone comes in."

I looked at Clarke.

"Is it alright if she stays here then?"

"Of course. Tank would appreciate the company."

Clarke went out to the car as us three Merlin kids said our goodbyes. Mom hugged all three of us.

"Please...Please come back to me. I can't lose more of my children." She pleaded. Wet tears began to roll down her cheeks.

"We will, mom." I said.

"Once we wipe out everyone who hurt us we will no longer have enemies. We will get revenge for Jack." Said Liam.

She wiped away her tears and sniffled.

"Lock the door on your way out." She said.

Liam handed her a small handgun and a knife. There were also functioning house-phones.

"Call the police if you have to. Stay safe, mom." Liam looked at her one final time. We went out the door and locked it, leaving our depressed mother alone.

I thought about Jack. How his body had to be abandoned. What happened to it? Did the Rossi's take it? Did they burn him? I wish we could've given him a proper burial. I wish I would've grabbed his lifeless body when I had the chance.

"Here's the plan." Stated Clarke when we reached the Illinois boarder.

"Liam and Nova are going to get the weapons. I wrote down the locations of our hidden artillery and where to retrieve them from. Don't get caught."

"Will, we will be interrogating an old friend."

He dropped Liam and Nova off down the road from his home.

"Raid my home first, then storage. We will be back in an hour."

They agreed and hopped out of the car.

"We're going to Glaccki's place.We find him, we find out where my father is."

We went to his apartment building and quietly examined the premises. I followed Clarke up to the third floor, he gave me a gun that I knew I still wasn't capable of using.

The door was locked.

"Stand back, I'm gonna kick it down."

"What? Kick it down? Didn't your father teach you how to pick locks?"

"Well, yeah."

"Maybe we should do that. It would make less of a scene."

"Oh, yeah. Good thinking."

We picked the old lock and pushed the door open. It was empty. The place smelled like an ash tray. The furniture was outdated and stale. The kitchen tile was a dirty brown color.