Hunters

Lily came awake to the sound of laughter

Lily came awake to the sound of laughter. She had fallen asleep snuggled up with Damien again. It happened that way a lot. If anything he seemed to crave her closeness now. Things had grown ever more intense between them but they hadn't gone the whole way yet. She wasn't sure what she was waiting for but she was just happy right now. She was happier than she had ever been, basking in the fact that she finally had a real family around her, and that she had a man who seemed to be in love with her.

Her cabin had become the new pack house and Damien had basically moved in with her. She sat up in bed and yawned. Some of the pack was visiting and Damien had gotten up to greet them. He was still cold and distant with his pack, but she saw now how deeply he cared for them. She was pulling on jeans and t-shirt when two loud rifle shots rent the air. She paused and looked around, dread filling her heart.

Her fears were confirmed when a moment later the little boy who'd been laughing started screaming. Lily grabbed her father's rifle and ran down the stairs to see the little boy sitting by the body of his mother. She'd been shot in the head. If the bullet was silver not even a werewolf could recover from that. The woman was gone. Standing in front of them was Klaus. She picked up the boy and rocked him as he cried. The smell of the alpha on her served to calm him.

"Klaus where is Damien?"

"He went to find the ones who shot."

"Hunters?"

"We can only imagine. One of the new guards let your father make a phone call. I was on my way here to tell you and Damien when the shots rang out. Layla is dead?"

"Yes. If they were friends of my father then they would have used silver bullets. It was a head shot.

"That's the third female we have lost to hunters."

"So you think they are targeting the women?"

"Our women keep us happy, and they give us our children. Killing them off would destabilize us." Just then Damien showed up.

"Get away from the goddamn window." He growled at her.

"Damien, what the..." He came towards her and pushed her and the boy into a corner, cursing when he saw the boy's mother. "Klaus, take the boy, and Layla's body and get them to their family. There are five other females dead. We need to get them all to safety, and then we need to meet and defend our territory." Klaus nodded and did as asked. Damien waited until they closed the door before he joined her in the corner, lips crashing onto hers. She melted into him as he ran his hands down her sides. At first, she wasn't sure what was happening. And then she realized he was making sure she was okay.

She framed his face in her hands kissed him gently.

"Damien, I'm here. I'm fine. Tell me what I can do." He rested his forehead against hers.

"We are going to my cabin where it is safe. You are staying in my bed with me, and you will go nowhere without me." She nodded.

"Okay. I won't."