Chapter 33: Origins

"What's up with his forefinger?"

"That's where they channel magic," Derek replied. "Their fore and middle fingers are essentially 'wands.' They are vey sensitive about them, obviously. Cutting their fingers off is like defanging a wolf for you guys."

"What about the blood? Blood payment?"

"Power's in your veins, it is for all of us," Leo answered. "Most witches will ask for a blood payment for something that's harder to do or more risky like Bernard said."

"Can they, like, extract the power or something?"

Leo sighed. "Not that we know of, but there's plenty of spells that require strong blood. Strong blood of another supernatural is hard to come by."

"What do you think?" I asked Leo, who was leaning on the side of our truck.

As soon as Bernard left, Ethan paid the tab, then marched out of the open space concept restaurant that suddenly felt smaller with me on his arm. We were most definitely not a fan of that weird ass witch.

"I think I ought to just kill him," Leo grumbled.

Ethan breathed out a sharp laugh and nodded. "Let me know when you do, that dick knows much more than he's letting on."

"Course he does, I'll see if Alex will let me borrow Dom."

"Dom?" Ethan asked.

"Dominic's Alex's eldest progeny. His only other one actually," Leo answered. "Anyway, he just got back from a hiking trip, also has a bone to pick with Bernard so I'll let him bring him to our coven."

"Want Evie or Barrett?" Derek asked.

Leo shook his head. "I think Dom can handle it fine. I need to do some more work before I make it up your way. We're staying on your land Ethan?"

Ethan nodded. "We're getting cabins together. We should have space for you all."

"Sounds good." Leo sighed and gave us a tired smile. "Just keep your chins up. We'll figure this out."

"Thanks Leo," I replied back before hugging him goodbye.

He chatted with Derek and Elliot for a few more moments while Ethan and I headed to the car. "What do you think Ethan?"

"I think I would like to skin that damn witch," he grumbled. His wolf snarled in delight of the idea, as did mine. That witch–that witch rubbed us the wrong way.

"Do you think he's working for the other side?"

"I think he will work for whoever's offer is the best. If he's smart, he'll just stay the hell out of it."

I sighed and lifted onto my tiptoes to kiss the corner of his mouth while he unlocked the car then opened the driver's door. "Let's go buy a lot of bulk shit."

Ethan breathed out a laugh and pulled me into his chest. He nuzzled my neck then lightly kissed my mark, sending little flames down through my nervous system.

"You know, they do sell condoms in bulk at Sam's," Elliot snickered out.

Ethan rolled his eyes and stepped aside so I could slide into the truck. We made our way to Sam's, which I hadn't been to in years, but I damn sure remembered all those free samples. My belly was full when we walked in, but after seeing all the free samples my beast and I agreed that we would make room–and go run it off later.

After trying various forms of pizza rolls, one of which Ethan decided we needed twelve of, and various forms of hot sauce which I convinced him to buy a case of so I could feel like Beyonce and carry a jar in my bag.